Childseat on road bike...?

PN22
PN22 Posts: 7
edited February 2012 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi,

not sure if similar issues may have been raised in another thread (please point me in right direction if so), but I have a mid-80s Peugeot road bike, relatively bog standard carbolite 103 frame...i also have a 9-month old son that i need to take to nursery (mainly thru a park before i get accused of risking child's life!) before commuting to work.
ideally i want to put a rear mounted child seat that I can easily take off when i get to nursery then commute 'normally' to work

So can road bikes (esp older peugeots) take a rear mounted child seat? Mine doesnt have holes for bolts in the rear stays, so would need to clamp to seat tube (e.g. Hamax style) but i've been told this can put too much strain on the welding point between the top of the rear stays and the seat tube...? Could it also wreak havoc with centre of gravity making it v difficult to ride?

Has anyone had experience of fitting childseats to road bikes esp older steel framed?

thanks
Pn22

Comments

• Hi - I've used a Hamax seat tube one on my single speed roadbike (a Giant Bowery), and it worked fine! Centre of gravity was fine too - just takes a few minutes of getting used to.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    As long as you don't have front mech cables in the way then the seat tube mounts work on many many frames. As for stress on the frame - sounds like a load of tosh to me.

It does mess a lot with the centre of gravity but you will simply adapt with some practice. Cycling with a seat on is the easiest bit - getting used to getting on and off the bike and getting little-un strapped in is actually far more tricky.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.