fulcrum red metal 5 or dt swiss x 1900 mtb wheelsets???

jesper98
jesper98 Posts: 46
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me out. I need a new wheelset for my Giant Reign 1 and I've narrowed it down to the fulcrum red metal 5 or dt swiss x 1900 mtb. I can get them both for the same price but don't know which ones to get. I ride the Afan Forest trails and many others around the South Wales area. I ride quite hard so I need something which isn't going to fold on me (I'm around 85kg). My Reign currently has WTB Laserdisc Trails and DT Swiss 370 hubs. I've also looked into Superstar wheels but would I be better off getting a proven brand??
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What type of hubs do you need for you bike ie axle type for fork and frame?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My personal opinion.
    I've had some RM5's for just over a year, so far they have been perfect, absolutely true, very smooth, even made me like clicky hubs. I'm also around 85kg, ride Surrey Hills and a bit of S Wales, mostly single track but not much of a jumper. More of a coward.
    They seem well made, but I have heard spares can be a bit of a mission. Bearings are easy, but freehubs are quite expensive (guess only a problem if they go wrong) and I doubt if every LBS stocks matching bladed spokes.
    Not too concerned as mine cost £79 from On One sale, so I've had my money's worth.
    I'd happily buy them again.
    I understand that Fulcrum are owned by Campagnola, but sold as Fulcrum so the Campag fanbois don't get annoyed at them being Shimano compatible.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi, thanks for the replies!! I wish I could get the Fulcrum's for £79 :D With regards to the hubs axle type for fork and frame etc - all I know is that I have a Fox Float RL 140mm travel, lock out fork and Hayes Stroker Trail hydraulic disc, 178mm/152mm rotors (6 bolts I think). The frame is the bronze coloured 08/09 Giant Reign 1 in a medium. I've also been looking at the Mavic Crossrides??
    Thanks again!!
  • supersonic
    Need more info. Is it quick release at the fornt, 15mm or 20mm bolt through? What about the rear? Quick release?
  • Sorry!! It's standard quick release skewers, front & rear.
  • supersonic
    Well the Red Metal 5 are budget XC/trail wheels and no stronger than what you have already. The DT x1900 is stronger. Both will fit your frame and forks
  • DT Swiss it is then - many thanks for your advice!!!!!
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    I'm happy with my RM5's, only had them on the commuting bike but they're light, seem strong, no probs. Got em for £100, I'm 82kgs.