Routes on the Isle of Skye

bill_gates
bill_gates Posts: 469
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to Skye later this year and wanted to know if anyone has any routes they can recommend on the island?

I've found a north route that was used before as a sportive, it does say there are some hills but nothing too challenging, (I'm not a fan of it being too steep!)

Anyone got some tips?

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."

Comments

• On Skye all routes pretty much contain hills.

& if the weather sucks, wait 20 minutes and it will be totally different.

If you want somewhere nice to say, let me know, my parents run a stunning B&B on the Isle of Skye, but it won't be cheap, however it will be worth the money I assure you. (The showers are AMAZING, and I say this will full knowledge having used them and being utterly blown away by how great they are.)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's 2 good loops from Portree to the North as well as heading down to Glen Brittle from Sligachan to get a close up of the Cuillin. If you have time, worth catching the ferry from Uig over to Tarbert and heading to the beaches on the West Coast - simply stunning. Over 25 years since I was up that way, but great memories.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I did look at the ferry to Tarbert and might do that on a day, worth taking the bike over on that also? Ferry ticket prices seem to be subsidised so not that expensive.

What sort of hills we talking about here? I done a route on Maymyride and the gradient states there are 4x Cat 5 climbs but these are pretty spread out and don't last too long. It is a 48 mile route round the north 'circular'.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    Monty Dog wrote:
    There's 2 good loops from Portree to the North as well as heading down to Glen Brittle from Sligachan to get a close up of the Cuillin. If you have time, worth catching the ferry from Uig over to Tarbert and heading to the beaches on the West Coast - simply stunning. Over 25 years since I was up that way, but great memories.

How North is 'North'? Are there any routes near the Sligachan Hotel or round Sgurr nan Gillean. Had a look on Google maps and could only see a couple of 'yellow' roads that seemed to go nowhere - there are green roads but I tend to shy away from them.
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    By North I mean the north of the Isle around past Uig to Duntulm and down past Quirang. Alternatively, head west over to Loch Harport and up towards Dunvegan. The time to avoid the A57 to Uig is to coincide with the ferries. There are many roads that are simply dead ends e.g to Glen Brittle.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..