Giant Defy vs Ribble Sportive

pete8uk
pete8uk Posts: 63
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
I'm more of a forum reader than a poster, as I prefer to learn from others rather than reveal how little I know! So, unsurprising that my first post in ages is asking for advice....

Having owned a series of hybrids, most recently a Giant Rapid, I think it's time I get a "proper" road bike. My Rapid serves me well on my London commute, but leaves me wanting a bit more on weekend rides. And, on my one attempt at joining a club run, left me struggling to keep up. Not to mention the odd one out!

The new bike needs to be ready for 2 hours bursts and day long rides, and I'm used to upright flatbars, so not looking for a full blown racing machine . A more relaxed geometry. The budget is £1000 max - you can probably guess why :wink:

My research has led me to two lead options:

Giant Defy 1 - Yes, I read the Febuary edition of Cycling Plus! This bike came out top of thier £1000 bike test, and the review was glowing. Best frame, combined with highest spec components, sounds good to me. So, what's the catch? Anyone got anything negative to say about this bike?

Ribble Sportive 7005 (there's also 7046, and even a Carbon one) - This was not in the test, but can be kitted out to similar, possibly better, level than the Defy. I also like that I can choose each component, and the few reviews I can find say Ribble bikes are pretty good. There's the obvious downside that I'd need to get to Preston to try it out, where as there's a Giant dealer 2 mins walk from my flat. But let's ignore that for the moment....

So, opinions on the right choice for me? Anyone got first hand knowledge of both bikes? What are the key differences between them?

Also, any other options I should consider in this category? I've already ruled out Specialized Secteur, Cannondale Synapse and Boardman Team (the latter because Halfords are not on my Cycle2work scheme.... so please don't tell me how great a bike that is :) )
Weekend: Orbea Orca SLi2, Shimano Dura Ace C50s & Conti GP4000s
Week: Boardman CX Team, Shimano RX31s & Conti Gatorskin Hardshells
Twitter: @pete8uk, Strava: 1277229

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I've got the new Defy 1 and its great -> does just what the Cycling plus review says

i can't see the ribble frame being as good as the Giant frame to be honest.. and i'm not going to ignore the fact you have a giant dealer 2mins away! seems like a no-brainer..

(+to get the ribble up to a comparable spec would cost the same anyway)

also think you were right to rule out the other options

-Specialized - worse spec, heavy frame
    -Cannondale - worse frame
    -Boardman - racy geometry
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    For 1k you can get a carbon Ribble Sportive - tbh, I think that is going to be nicer than the Defy. Swings and roundabouts; a lot of people are a bit snobbish about Ribble but then the Defy is very much the Ford Focus of bikes. Very sensible, very good, hard to criticise but possibly not a very imaginitive choice. A colleague of mine has a Defy and likes it very much. I think if I was going to spend £700 on a bike, I'd be tempted by one but for £1k you get something a little less common, a little more to your spec and a little lighter.

However, the trying out thing is an issue for a first time roadie. Ribble don't offer test rides - the best you get is to sit on a completed one of the correct size (and you'd want to check in advance that you have one) - they do have a jig though and can fit you up - and I expect you get more options in terms of seatpost, stem length, bar width etc than Giant offer and that does matter; fit is everything. Also, whilst not getting a test ride is a definite negative, unless the Giant dealer can offer a proper test ride (eg an hour or more), you aren't really going to get much of a feel for the bike anyway.

Alihisgreat is a tad biased in his damning of the Ribble. He is wrong re spec costs - you just can't get a Giant carbon frame bike for the £942 cheapest Ribble Sportive price. As for the frame not being as good, Alihisgreat has, inadvertently I am sure, overlooked the Cycling Active 98% score for the Sportive Bianco in their £1000 bikes test or Cycling Weeklys 10/10 and test winner for 1k cycle to work bikes. Or Bikeradars own 4 star review of the £1100 New Sportive last year (same as the worthy Defys score) :lol:

Worth also looking at Planet X. If you are happy to stick with an alloy frame (maybe with carbon stays if prices haven't taken them overbudget) an attractive choice is the Bianci Via Nirone; you get less kit and more style for your money. It's the heart alternative to the head Defy! They do look nice though......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • alihisgreat
    we're talking about the aluminium sportive 7005... so i gave my opinion on that... i obviously don't think the Sportive Bianco is a bad bike given its review scores (which i have read before as part of researching buying my bike)

the carbon sportive bikes are however a more expensive bike if you want a spec comparable to the defy 1

its not fair saying "but you can get a ribble for £942!!!!1!!1!!!" if its spec'd with Sora and cheap wheels.
  • rolf_f
    we're talking about the aluminium sportive 7005... so i gave my opinion on that... i obviously don't think the Sportive Bianco is a bad bike given its review scores (which i have read before as part of researching buying my bike)

the carbon sportive bikes are however a more expensive bike if you want a spec comparable to the defy 1

its not fair saying "but you can get a ribble for £942!!!!1!!1!!!" if its spec'd with Sora and cheap wheels.

Actually, £942 gets you Tiagra 10 speed which I suspect is a sweet spot in the Shimano range in value terms. The wheels do look heavy though (Rodi Airline) and there are no obvious alternatives (unless you go Campag) at the moment. Don't know how they compare to the Defys.

His budget is 1k and he does mention the carbon frames. FWIW, there is much to be said for getting the best frame you can with an eye for upgrade later rather than better kit and a cheaper frame (not that the Defy isn't worthy). At the moment, it's hard to judge the value of the alloy Sportive as it doesn't seem to have made it to Special Editions (or to any reviews for that matter so its quality compared to the Defy is hard to know) but ulitmately, I'd rather go carbon or steel than alloy (but that is a personal taste).
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    The facts are for that particular price point they're both going to be great bikes.
    Your choice really comes down to which one you likey??
    (although having said that i'll contradict myself and say try them both if you can- the geometry of one might suit your bodyshape better- not many of us are the average shape)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    pete8uk wrote:
    IAlso, any other options I should consider in this category? I've already ruled out Specialized Secteur, Cannondale Synapse and Boardman Team (the latter because Halfords are not on my Cycle2work scheme.... so please don't tell me how great a bike that is :) )

Bianchi via Nirone - a grand will get you Tiagra or Xenon with Carbon fork, depending on whether you prefer Shimano or Campag.. Nice relaxed geometry. Plus riding a Bianchi you will become instantly more attractive to women, riding a Ribble will make you more attractive to audax riders with beards and sandals. :)
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • pete8uk
    Good to hear from someone who has the Defy 1, and likes it. Gives me that little bit more confidence, on top of the Cycling Plus review. I'll definitely be test riding that one (My LBS allowed me a hour long test ride when I last bought a bike, so hopefully will again - Putney Cycles - free plug :) )

Rolf: I think you've pinpointed my reservations on the Defy, and summed up with two words "Ford Focus". It's solid, well kitted out, even quite good looking.... but it's not special, it doesn't stand out.

The Ribble is something a little different, and you've made a good point regarding getting the best frame I can. If I get really into this, I'll inevitably want to upgrade, which I'd rather do without buying a new bike. I wasn't really considering carbon before, but now feeling drawn to the Ribble Carbon Sportive.

But, I need to learn more of Carbon vs Aluminium. I'm sure there are many threads on this! But, can someone answer me this one question: Are modern carbon bikes more tricky to maintain and not as long lasting as aluminium? Oh, and I'll try to get a test ride on a carbon bike. Any carbon bike (as can't test the Ribble)

Thanks all for your replies, much appreciated

PS: took a look at the Bianci Via Nirone.... that certainly stands out :shock: Going to search out one to see in the flesh.... not sure if I believe a bike can help attract women, but maybe I can live without 105s if so (just don't tell my gf!)
  • t4tomo
    .... not sure if I believe a bike can help attract women, but maybe I can live without 105s if so (just don't tell my gf!)

You'd beter believe, its like driving a Ferrari or a Lambo ;)

depending on your size, you can get with 105.
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bianchi-via-nirone-item164559.html

or with Ultegra / 105 mix and carbon seat stays too.
    http://www.biketraks.com/7998/products/Bianchi_Via_Nirone_Al_C_53cm_White_Red_2010_Men.aspx?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=PriceComp&utm_term=Froogle&utm_content=None&utm_campaign=PriceComp1 that one is cracking deal
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    I'm very happy with my Giant TCR2.

I would try and support the lbs, especially if you are only round the corner. But I'm sure they'd be happy to help maintain any bike. (Have you been in asked about bikes? They may well be able to borrow another bike for you, so you can try out carbon etc).

And for the money, I'm sure you'll get a fab bike anyhow!
  • alihisgreat
    pete8uk wrote:
    Good to hear from someone who has the Defy 1, and likes it. Gives me that little bit more confidence, on top of the Cycling Plus review. I'll definitely be test riding that one (My LBS allowed me a hour long test ride when I last bought a bike, so hopefully will again - Putney Cycles - free plug :) )

Rolf: I think you've pinpointed my reservations on the Defy, and summed up with two words "Ford Focus". It's solid, well kitted out, even quite good looking.... but it's not special, it doesn't stand out.

The Ribble is something a little different, and you've made a good point regarding getting the best frame I can. If I get really into this, I'll inevitably want to upgrade, which I'd rather do without buying a new bike. I wasn't really considering carbon before, but now feeling drawn to the Ribble Carbon Sportive.

But, I need to learn more of Carbon vs Aluminium. I'm sure there are many threads on this! But, can someone answer me this one question: Are modern carbon bikes more tricky to maintain and not as long lasting as aluminium? Oh, and I'll try to get a test ride on a carbon bike. Any carbon bike (as can't test the Ribble)

Thanks all for your replies, much appreciated

PS: took a look at the Bianci Via Nirone.... that certainly stands out :shock: Going to search out one to see in the flesh.... not sure if I believe a bike can help attract women, but maybe I can live without 105s if so (just don't tell my gf!)

I would like to contest the ford focus point.. can we at least call it a Focus RS?

FocusRS4.jpg

we are talking about the Top spec'd Aluminium defy here haha :lol:

Also +1 for the Via Nirone.. they look amazing in the flesh
  • b16 b3n
    b16 b3n Posts: 301
    Go for a ribble, it's hand built and have better componens ie bars stem etc. wheres a giant your paying for the name mainly and crap components. You wont also get a full groupset on the giant either. It will be mixed and matched with shimano and Fsa probably or even truvativ.
    " GET BACK CROC "
  • rolf_f
    pete8uk wrote:
    But, can someone answer me this one question: Are modern carbon bikes more tricky to maintain and not as long lasting as aluminium?

A carbon bike is exactly the same in maintenance terms as an alloy one - the kits the same and only the frame material differs. Neither really require different treatment. The only exception really is that it is probably more necessary to use a torque wrench if you are tinkering with a carbon bike.

In terms of longevity, a carbon bike should last longer (though you'll need a lot of miles to find out) - alloy bikes age; each jolt, stress and strain is remembered by the frame until it decides to die (which is probably, but not necessarily, after you die!). Carbon, like steel doesn't remember so theoretically might last forever.

IMO, alloy bikes are a bit soulless - I love steel and am more taken with carbon than I thought I would be. Some people will say that a good alloy frame is as good as a carbon frame - but most people on here willfavour carbon. It's a proven material and the current state of the art. If you can afford it, it should be the default choice unless you have specific reasons for chosing another material.

Alihisgreat - yep, you can call it a Focus RS - but even a Focus RS is still a Focus!
  • pete8uk
    Thanks for those links of Bianchi deals, but I'm 6'2", so sadly I think those frames are too small (although, couldn't find a frame size guide). Going to find one locally to look at though!

Thanks also for the extra info carbon. I'm sure I'll find much more to read on this, and I expect personal preference plays a big part, but still good to know regarding maintenance and lifespan.

PS: The car/bike analogy might be getting a little out of hand. The Defy is a Ford Focus (RT), the Bianchi is a Ferrari.... but what's the Ribble Sportive? :) Maybe I'm going about this all wrong. Instead of going through bike specs, prices and reviews, I should just find the bike equilevant of my car? Is that how this works? :wink:
  • t4tomo
    i'm 5' 11" and mines a 57cm and there is more adjustment upwards than downwards on it. You'll need a 59 or 61, the only way is to sit on one and find out.

As you say the old Alu / Carbon debate does some down a bit to personal preference. Carbon whilst it doesn't fatiguecan occasionally snap or crack if you have a big smash. Alu and Steel especially or more durable in that sense and can be repaired if the worst happens. Once a carbon frame cracks then its dustbin time.

Ribble sportive must be a Skoda Octavia - very capable car, very good value for money but not something to shout about down the pub?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    A carbon frame can be more easily repaired than an alloy one.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    pete8uk wrote:

Trust me, the ribble isn't different. I see so many around on sunday mornings that it makes MY defy look rare!
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    I'd vote Defy because Giant look after their punters. I know some folk are happy with Ribble, but there few threads on here were Ribble customers seem to get a bit agitated at the level of service they receive. Can't remember one thread moaning about Giant. When you consider how many bikes they both supply that is quite impressive.
  • I guess my Specialized Secteur must be in some eyes a cut and shut banger with no MOT but it's got me off my arse and into cycling so I'll continue to keep it clean and running and remember it as fondly as I did my first car! (although that was a Daimler 4.2 aged 17!).
  • rolf_f
    anto164 wrote:
    pete8uk wrote:

Trust me, the ribble isn't different. I see so many around on sunday mornings that it makes MY defy look rare!

They are more common in the Northwest for obvious reasons.
    siamon wrote:
    Can't remember one thread moaning about Giant. When you consider how many bikes they both supply that is quite impressive.

Good but not that impressive - economies of scale see!
  • pete8uk
    A Ribble is a Skoda? Well, that's a little disappointing..... Still, a good car with a under-appreciated badge (aren't they just re-badged VWs?). Oh, and I'm London based, so hopefully a Ribble will be a rarer sight down here!

Will hopefully get a test ride on the Defy in the coming weeks, and a carbon frame to compare. Will make decision from there. Thanks all for your advice :)
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    uja699x_03.jpg
    = ribble.
    good seating position,comfortable cruising,understated sense of urgency.
    maxi maketh the man.
  • mog1404
    mog1404 Posts: 60
    get the bianchi i got one last year and its great plus i was at a set of lights a few months ago and a bloke in a ferrari told me how nice my bike was so to me that says its better than a ferrari :lol:
  • leswill
    leswill Posts: 11
    I got the defy 1 in April 11 on our cycle 2 work scheme, no problems at all. Wheels still straight - I was 105Kg when i got it, now 100Kg. Haven't felt the need to upgrade anything yet. Cant say anything about the ribble as no experience of it, but the defy does everything i want.
  • leswill
    leswill Posts: 11
    I got the defy 1 in April 11 on our cycle 2 work scheme, no problems at all. Wheels still straight - I was 105Kg when i got it, now 100Kg. Haven't felt the need to upgrade anything yet. Cant say anything about the ribble as no experience of it, but the defy does everything i want.
  • Love my Defy have had it 4 years, never had to replace a thing on it, it rides like the day it was bought. I love the Giant brand, have just built a TCR Advanced as the new Best Bike. Some will say they are common, but for ride, build and bang for buck IMO they cannot be beaten.
  • Had my first ride on my Ribble Sportive today and it's ace. Utterly utterly ace :)

I got a white carbon one with silver campag groupset and wheels for that matching super-bling look.

Took 2 weeks from placing the order to getting the bike and Ribble were faultless throughout - was expecting it to take a lot longer. It's been properly screwed together and I'm delighted with it. Get on :)