Best/good bike mechanic in Cardiff

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited January 2012 in MTB general
Hi All

Simply looking for a decent bike mechanic in/around Cardiff.
What do suggest from experience? I don't want to go tosomeone who is cheap and nasty but also i don't want someone who will rip me off either.

Someone who knows what they are doing and will charge a 'fair' price.

Thanks guys.
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• Sunset bikes are ok, bit pricey though.

EC Cycles in Nelson have been the best for me (I know they're not Cardiff, but they're on the way to work for me).
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Try Cyclopaedia on Crwys Road. They really know their stuff and won't give you a load of BS.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    Try Cyclopaedia on Crwys Road. They really know their stuff and won't give you a load of BS.
    How expensive are they?

I could do with the spoke tension checking on my rear wheel and I'm reluctant to take it to Sunset...
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Prices aren't too bad. Have a look on their website. There are some prices listed. £8 to true a wheel.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    Prices aren't too bad. Have a look on their website. There are some prices listed. £8 to true a wheel.
    Hmm cheers fella, May take them up on that!
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    I use Cyclopaedia for my road and MTB bikes and they are awesome at service and repairs and there wheel truing is second to none and most important reasonable, highly recommend
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • perfect, just what I needed to hear :)
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Thanks guys

I'll be giving Cyclopaedia a shout. Been there before any they were reasonable and did a good job so looks like i'll be back there. Cheers!!
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    They have a long history with road bikes but I have used them a few times for wheels and they have been very good. I think they probably have some of the oldest bike mechs in Cardiff and I can check but AFAIK the guys at the new shop worked at the old place so they are time served.

Having said that I would only ever use an lbs for wheels, and a shock expert for suspension everything else can be done at home if you have the right tools (so long as you are willing to buy tools and figure it out rather than give money to an lbs) ;)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Sunset are awful i will tell you that much,I don't go to cardiff for bike shops much these days, Sunset are terrible probable the second worst after Don skene cycles.

I use a bike shop up by Cwm Carnw hich isn't to bad. but prob a bit far for you :(
  • Not in Cardiff but Risca Tim Ashfield, well worth the trip out.
  • Ashweee
    Ashweee Posts: 48
    Oh dear, mines due to go into sunset for some work soon......

I have to say though, so far sunset have been pretty good.
  • crom7
    crom7 Posts: 83
    Cyclopaedia are really good....Sunset are crap....you could also give the guys at MUDDYBUMS in Rhiwbina a look. They've been excellent and really know what they're talking about.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    crom7 wrote:
    Cyclopaedia are really good....Sunset are crap....you could also give the guys at MUDDYBUMS in Rhiwbina a look. They've been excellent and really know what they're talking about.

100% agree with this post :?
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Mojo_666
    Dai Bank wrote:
    Not in Cardiff but Risca Tim Ashfield, well worth the trip out.

I heard the old man (Martin)? was mint but the current guy (Tim)? was useless, arrogant and lots of other bad stuff.
  • Mojo_666
    Ashweee wrote:

I have spoken to their mechanic and he seemed pretty clued up and nice, the guys that work in the shop are very hit and miss though, I usually go in wearing smart office type clothes and I guess they don't think I am "cool" enough for them to try and talk me out of my cash.
  • Ashweee
    Ashweee Posts: 48
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Ashweee wrote:

I have spoken to their mechanic and he seemed pretty clued up and nice, the guys that work in the shop are very hit and miss though, I usually go in wearing smart office type clothes and I guess they don't think I am "cool" enough for them to try and talk me out of my cash.

Ah thats ok then, as long as the mechanic knows what he's doing, I bought my bike through them last year and the guy i dealt with Gavin was really helpful and made a much bigger effort than I've had from other bike shops in the past.