For those without Hope Hubs.....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    more like for those of you with Hope hubs.

for when they are back for warrenty fixing ;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,496
    Should have some optional neons to go with that :-D

Never understood why Hope hubs are so popular when they make such a beedin' annoying noise?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    How long before Orange offer them as a £250 upgrade?
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Never understood why Hope hubs are so popular when they make such a beedin' annoying noise?

i have had a couple of sets and both sounded like a sandbag of hub parts falling down the stairs, flipping horrible. look good though.
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    Or you could just stick a crushed coke can next to your tyre!

I prefer a bike that the only noise you hear is the sound of the tyres against the ground!
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I love annoying people like you with mine.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    what briggo says :lol: i love the sound of a loud hub, the noisier the better!! tune hubs are the loudest ive heard, jeezup wept they put hope to shame!
  • lawman wrote:
    what briggo says :lol: i love the sound of a loud hub, the noisier the better!! tune hubs are the loudest ive heard, jeezup wept they put hope to shame!

Is that true?

Tune hubs are almost certainly going to be on my next wheelset, and I farkin hate the sound of hope hubs. I can see me slapping a tub of grease on the pawls if that's the case.

DT are the best sounding hubs I've owned. They just sound "well built"
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,496
    Briggo wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I love annoying people like you with mine.
    Not a problem for me, I just don't ride with tw@ts who use Hopes ;-)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lawman wrote:

Is that true?

Tune hubs are almost certainly going to be on my next wheelset, and I farkin hate the sound of hope hubs. I can see me slapping a tub of grease on the pawls if that's the case.

DT are the best sounding hubs I've owned. They just sound "well built"

well for your ears to judge :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfmL97uI7zQ

i quite like dt's tbf, its just that the tunes are so light, slightly cheaper, and sound incredible!!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I more worried about there record for falling to bits than the noise lol.

Seen about 5 hope hubs set back in the last year and a half in my house hold and that was 2 people riding on hopes(not me i may add). but on topic... Vrooooom vrooomvrooooooooooom i want!!
  • Try pedalling more.
    should of used giantorangecannon
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you like the noise (why?) the Superstar hubs seem just as noisy, are cheaper, just as blingy (barring the name!) and more reliable....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    tune hubs are the loudest ive heard, jeezup wept they put hope to shame!

My Tunes were far less annoying than Hopes, wouldn't have said they were anywhere near as loud frankly. They did fall apart and need fixing at obscene expense twice in 9 months though. Never again.

240s sound good, and are virtually silent when greased.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Marmite!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    -1 potato for noise. I can live with my hope hubs but I'd rather they shut up from time to time. However... I might make a few of these from some Coke bottles and fit them to everyone's bikes to ride the Alps this year :twisted:
  • njee20 wrote:
    tune hubs are the loudest ive heard, jeezup wept they put hope to shame!

My Tunes were far less annoying than Hopes, wouldn't have said they were anywhere near as loud frankly. They did fall apart and need fixing at obscene expense twice in 9 months though. Never again.

240s sound good, and are virtually silent when greased.

Njee, what tune hubs did you use, and in what way did they fall apart, and why so expensive to fix? Did you have the super blingy carbon 1-piece jobbies?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I had an older Kong Superscharf, with a carbon axle, into which the end caps are bonded. I had 2 freehub bodies break up (completely - bits of alloy and pawls everywhere!), and because it was a one piece job it had to be unbuilt, sent back and have the end cap cut off, new freehub body and then be glued back together.

Over £90 a time, luckily I can build wheels, otherwise you can add an unbuild/rebuild to that too! The bearings lasted months too, but again short of dismantling the wheel there was nothing you can do.

I realise the normal Kongs are 'user serviceable', and allegedly freehub body longeivty is now better, but I'd not bother again. My A2Z have proven more reliable, 1/3 the cost, and near as damn it the same weight.