What Bottom Bracket?

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Need to buy a couple of (Hollowtech) bottom brackets for my road racing and TT bikes. CRC has Ultegra BBs for £20, is there any need to get anything more expensive? For instance I see Hope BBs for upwards of £50; are they significantly better, and if so how?

I'm not going to set the racing world alight, so I don't need to pay extortionate sums for tiny performance gains, but I'm happy to pay a bit for major performance gains (unlikely to be relevant here, I suspect) or increased reliability.
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• Sounds fine. No need to go to Dura Ace - much less Di2.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    HT 1 or HT11?

very different things. if HT11 then road and MTB are different.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    nicklouse wrote:
    HT 1 or HT11?

very different things. if HT11 then road and MTB are different.
    Ah, didn't know that; what's the difference?

These are HT2
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I use Hope BBs in the Racing and the CX bikes. Good and smooth, my average speed increased by around 2mph. Ultegra are perfectly good enough though for the money. Depends on your budget. If you REALLY like the bike-bling and race a lot, have a good budget then Chris Kings are also very good. All three makes will last a long time.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Edinburgh cycles Tigra HT2 - £12
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ccessories

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    HT2 BB is fine, but in my experience they don't seem to last that long.

Last time I upgraded to a Chris King and I've got a feeling it might last forever.
    exercise.png
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    TheStone wrote:
    HT2 BB is fine, but in my experience they don't seem to last that long.

Last time I upgraded to a Chris King and I've got a feeling it might last forever.

Agree. Tiagra is smooth, but not as smooth and long lasting as the Ultegra - imo its worth spending the extra couple of quid.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I've got a Dura Ace BB on the weekend bike at the moment and, to be perfectly honest, can't tell the difference between that and the Ultegra one it replaced.

Love the idea of a Chris King replacement, but balk at the cost.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    It's simple, they all go round the same, but the cheapo ones need replacing periodically and the expensive ones don't.