how far to travel to get fit

moggy12
moggy12 Posts: 109
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
in the last few years have put on a lot of weight i used to ride a trek 7.5 fx 3 years ago to keep fit but like most things gave up riding and sold the trek doctors orders to lose weight so getting back into biking bought a secondhand specialized sirrus seems lighter and faster then the trek but with all the extra weight i have soon out of puff first time i went out 2 weeks ago could hardly manage 2 miles i'm now up to 10 miles a day what should i be aiming for miles wise ? i come back done in but enjoying the biking can't wait until weather warms up

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Everyone is different so there are no set rules.

One mile more than you used to do will help.
    Keep adding the miles till you can go no further :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    How fit do you want to be?

Don't just cycle, walk, run, eat healthy. Cut down on booze, no fries.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Using the shift key and punctuation would give your fingers more of a workout :-D

You'll find that your 'puff' comes back fairly quickly as you ride regularly.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • moggy12 wrote:
    in the last few years have put on a lot of weight i used to ride a trek 7.5 fx 3 years ago to keep fit but like most things gave up riding and sold the trek doctors orders to lose weight so getting back into biking bought a secondhand specialized sirrus seems lighter and faster then the trek but with all the extra weight i have soon out of puff first time i went out 2 weeks ago could hardly manage 2 miles i'm now up to 10 miles a day what should i be aiming for miles wise ? i come back done in but enjoying the biking can't wait until weather warms up

I would stick at 10/15 miles. Get a set route and try to beat your times. You can also do high intensity training - work really hard, go as fast as you can for a few mins, rest a few more then do again... and again... and again. Lots of guides on the internet to help. Its great at fat burning, I've lost quite a bit of weight and my time is getting better every time I go out... well when I don't get a headwind!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Don't expect to loose weight by cycling alone. You need to combine it with diet and cycling will make you hungry. I did 4,200 mile last year and my weight went from 18st 5lbs to 18st 5lbs. My advice is not to focus on weight and focus on fitness. Ride as often as you can and enjoy it.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - if you want to lose weight, eat less. Cycling might help provided you don't kid yourself that you've burned a lot of calories.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

Don't just cycle, walk, run, eat healthy. Cut down on booze, no fries.

I'd rather just stay unhealthy.... ;)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • moggy12
    moggy12 Posts: 109
    thanks guys for info i have also changed my diet eating heallty ,sketchley you did 4,200 last year and lost no weight at all ?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    @ Sketchley & MRS

128839900466329911.jpg
  • SimonAH
    Energy in > energy out = reduction of stored energy in the body = fat. You will also however increase the size of muscles. Muscle tissue is denser than fat so you may actually put on weight, but you will still have shed fat.

The problem is that the body is very good at self preservation and self regulation - it sees you are doing a lot of excercise and makes you want to eat more to cover the energy output and protect it's "rainy day" energy reserves (the fat). It is controlling this that is the key.

Personally I've lost no significant weight, but I'm a lot fitter after a few years of cycling.

Next stage for me is to blend in some upper body excercise to balance things out a bit.

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449

Don't just cycle, walk,run, eat healthy. Cut down on booze, no fries.

+1

And the more I cycle, the less I want to walk.
  • sketchley
    moggy12 wrote:
    thanks guys for info i have also changed my diet eating heallty ,sketchley you did 4,200 last year and lost no weight at all ?

Correct. I lost a bit in the middle then put it back on again at the end of the year.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    SimonAH wrote:
    Energy in > energy out = reduction of stored energy in the body = fat. You will also however increase the size of muscles. Muscle tissue is denser than fat so you may actually put on weight, but you will still have shed fat.

The problem is that the body is very good at self preservation and self regulation - it sees you are doing a lot of excercise and makes you want to eat more to cover the energy output and protect it's "rainy day" energy reserves (the fat). It is controlling this that is the key.

Personally I've lost no significant weight, but I'm a lot fitter after a few years of cycling.

Next stage for me is to blend in some upper body excercise to balance things out a bit.

This has happened. I'm smaller than this time last year, clothes fit better, I'm much quicker on the bike than Jan last year, I'm much fitter. However I weigh the same.
    --
    Chris

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    If you want to lose weight, go running. Cycling is exercise for the lazy!
  • sketchley
    notsoblue wrote:

I'm tempted to start but I'm scared. I don't do running! It might hurt my knees......
    --
    Chris

• clarkey cat
    running is a shoot exercise.

why?

minimal scope for kit purchasing.
  • SimonAH
    notsoblue wrote:

I have a plastic kneecap legacy of a motorcycle accident. No impact stuff for me.

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    suzyb wrote:

Don't just cycle, walk,run, eat healthy. Cut down on booze, no fries.

+1

And the more I cycle, the less I want to walk.

Wish I could walk the walk rather than talk the talk...... lack of commuter miles in last 6 weeks, together with still eatling like I am doing 30 miles a day does not help!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I can't for toffee except the odd sprint, it hurts my knees and lower back a lot
  • notsoblue
    Sketchley wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I'm tempted to start but I'm scared. I don't do running! It might hurt my knees......
    You can build it up, I was around your weight for a while and I couldn't imagine running any distance. One day I started with just a mile round a block, felt like shit afterwards, repeated that a few times until I didn't feel like I was going to fall apart. Then increased the distance to push myself some more, got used to that...increased again etc... Eventually I was running 10k 2-3 times a week (relatively) comfortably. I'd probably have run more but it was the most I could cope with in a week without my feet just disintegrating.

Starting a running habit when you're overweight is pretty hard going because of the discomfort involved. But if you keep at it, its quite satisfying to see how quickly your body adapts to what you're making it do. You do get leaner, and lighter if you keep it up. But theres some superficial pain and discomfort first. I found that there was a positive effect on my diet, if I had a run planned in the evening I'd spend the day making sure that I was eating right because eating badly meant I'd end up with stitch...
  • notsoblue
    SimonAH wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I have a plastic kneecap legacy of a motorcycle accident. No impact stuff for me.

Swimming then?

OT, but how much are you limited by your plastic kneecap in daily life?
  • suzyb
    Sketchley wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I don't run because of the embarasment factor. Runners or at least women runners all seems to be stick insects so even if you would get to that stage, until you do it's embarrasment city.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    notsoblue wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Swimming then?

I used to do triathlon traning.

Running gave me shin splints. I only run when necessary now. :wink:
    Swimming bulked up my upper body. If you are thinking of weight loss it is possibly not the way to go.
    If you want to build up fitness and tone your body, it is superb.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • suzyb wrote:
    I don't run because of the embarasment factor. Runners or at least women runners all seems to be stick insects so even if you would get to that stage, until you do it's embarrasment city.

Thats why I did it at night :D
  • notsoblue
    suzyb wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Everyone looks like crap while they're running... Some people (even the attractive ones) have ridiculous running styles. Best just to zone out the rest of the world and focus on your own pace. Besides, its hard to take criticism for being overweight from some passing douche seriously if you're actively doing something about it. ;)
  • Mrs OB bought herself a x-trainer - no/low impact and in 2 weeks has lost 2lb which is quite impressive. Even more so is the fact she has actually stuck to 15min a day and is now up to 30min/day in 2 sessions. I've started doing 30min sessions 3 times/week on an medium-intensity muscle-toning interval program - its much harder work than cycling (despite telling me I'm putting out 88watts, compared to 240w* on the bike) and exercises different muscles including arms (but I feel I'm flying the next day on the bike, psychological I know :) ).

*Garmin estimated
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852

why?

Running magazines would disagree with you :roll: . If you take a step back then running related marketing is one of the most impressive examples of marketing that I can think of. It's one of very few activities that you could do with absolutely no kit, yet Nike, Adidas et al have turned it into big business.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • sketchley

why?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/run/
    --
    Chris

• clarkey cat
    Yea I've done a fair amount of running in my time - and I have all the technical fabrics and special shoes and blister-free socks and special non-bouncing bum-bags... the total cost of which, over the years, comes to about the same as my Campy Centaur gruppo.
  • suzyb
    Yea I've done a fair amount of running in my time - and I have all the technical fabrics and special shoes and blister-free socks and special non-bouncing bum-bags... the total cost of which, over the years, comes to about the same as my Campy Centaur gruppo.
    Can you get those non-bouncing bum bags to actually stop your bum bouncing :wink: