Replacing Pedals - pick any?

swedenuk
swedenuk Posts: 33
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

When replacing bike pedals, is it a standard fit or should I be making sure I get a comptible pedal etc.

Cheers :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most are 9/16". Some are 1/2" - mainly BMX.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cool - thanks. I am going to replace my Carrera Fury standard pedals wih some Truvativ Holzfeller's. Have used my friends and they are awesome :)
  • mercedism
    mercedism Posts: 102
    Just looked them up, nice looking pedals. Another pedal that has been copied by a cheaper model.
  • Ya - the pins are savage...my friend has a huge scar to prove it, but we both ride with shinguards now anyway and I feel a lot more confident when my feet dont slip as much.

Mercedism: What is the cheaper model you refer too? :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they are not that good, too heavy for a start. and mud clearance aint the best.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I can only really compare what I have... to the Truvativ's and my feet stick the pedals.

I was thinking about the Superstar's after reading good reviews:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.ph ... 8isdpqaiu3

But I haven't seen / touched / tested them myself.
  • mercedism
    mercedism Posts: 102
    I saw "Hussefelt Pedal based on the Holzfeller Design" looks like the pins are part of the moulding so not adustable.
  • mercedism: ah yeah - spotted those. The molded pins put me off - they dont look as long so i assume less grippy.

I was just watching this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXxplE_L1Rw and the comments made me laugh... seems like a lot of people out there struggle with removing pedals, cant wait to give it a go myself hehe ;-)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wellgo in one of many variations. CRC have all sorts on sale at the moment.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swedenuk wrote:
    I can only really compare what I have... to the Truvativ's and my feet stick the pedals.

I was thinking about the Superstar's after reading good reviews:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.ph ... 8isdpqaiu3

But I haven't seen / touched / tested them myself.

I've got the Superstar Nano Tech Flats and they really are superb pedals, very grippy, nice light profile and I whilst I know a few other people who ride with them none have had any issues, they all think they're great pedals too :P

Definitely wouldn't be a bad option.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Locked as it is no longer a tech question.

The buying section is for that.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
This discussion has been closed.