Loss of confidence - tips needed

DXG82
DXG82 Posts: 35
edited February 2012 in Women
Hi Ladies

I am relatively new to mountain biking, but until recently I felt that my riding was progressing quite well. OK so I was hardly an expert, and still got scared of stuff like big drops, but I was getting round red trails such as Whites Levels and The Wall at Afan without too many issues and feeling quite proud of myself, as while that might sound easy to some people I felt like it was a good acheivement for me.

However I went to Cannock Chase to do the Monkey Trail recently and found it really difficult. My friends couldn't understand why and said the Monkey Trail is easier than Afan. I think the problem was that there were a couple of sections on the Monkey Trail that looked scary so I walked them (the rock gardens on the red section of the Monkey for example) then I think I just totally wimped myself out and ended up walking other sections of the trail, even though I know I have ridden much harder stuff in the past!

I also think it did not help that Cannock was so busy the weekend I went and it really put me off that there were so many people there and I was constantly having to stop to let faster riders pass / having people coming right up behind me so I could not get into a rhythm and enjoy my ride. I do always let faster riders go ahead of me (when safe to do so) but there were just so many people at Cannock I was constantly stopping to let people pass every couple of minutes.

Also there were crowds of people stood around the technical features like the rock gardens which totally put me off even trying to give them a go.

I came away from Cannock feeling really annoyed with myself as I know I can ride better than that, but it was as though all my confidence was gone and I did not dare tackle anything.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get over these situations? Sometimes I just think maybe I am not suited to moutain biking and should give up, but that would be a shame as I do enjoy it (when I am not scared stupid!).

I am thinking of getting some skills coaching to help - do people have any opinions on whether this is worth while and can anyone recommend a good coach in or around the London area?

Thanks!

Comments

• Heya!

First off don't be too hard on yourself- sounds like a typical 'head funk' day to me.
    Sometimes you just suck at riding- fact. There's been days when obstacles I've happily tackled one day have put the fear of God into me the next. I just call it a 'head funk' day and try and write it off- on these kind of days I find it best just to do really easy stuff and just enjoy being on your bike, instead of getting stressed out attempting to do stuff you know you can- but for some reason just can't on that day.

I think I know the bit your on about on the Monkey Trail, that bit caught me out when I first went there and ditto on letting faster riders overtake- I hate people on my tail!

Don't give up on riding because of 1 duff day, just look back on some pics when you were shredding and remember how cool it felt!

Skills coaching is definitely a good place to start for improving confidence on the trails.

In terms of coaching around the London area- there's the Dirt Divas-http://www.dirtdivas.co.uk/index.htm
    But I'm new to the South so not quite clued up to other Southern providers- I'm sure someone on here can recommend someone.

Keep Riding, Keep Smiling!

:-)
    Come Chat to us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BikeRadar
    Or
    Give us a Tweet https://twitter.com/#!/bikeradar
    Or even...
    Join our Google+ Circle https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/114648719698063638202/
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Ahoy, and welcome to Cannock Chase! :P

Don't be too hard on yourself, everyone has good days and bad days on the bike. I've been riding Cannock Chase for nearly four years, and I've only ridden one of the three down hill rock gardens on the Monkey. And I've never ridden Werewolf drop. :P When I ended up on Innerleithen red, I carried my bike more than it carried me.

My approach is that it's always better to ride another day, so if there's anything that I'm not sure of, generally I walk it. Don't spend ages looking at it, working yourself up, because you're more likely to brake at the last moment and have an accident. Just shrug and think, "Next time". And if you don't do it next time... so what? No-one's going to turn up and confiscate your bike. Work at your own pace, accept that sometimes you'll feel like a riding goddess and sometimes you'll want to throw your bike in the canal. After setting it on fire.

It might not be the fastest way to improve, but it works for me and I do end up tackling stuff... eventually. :lol: Remember that trail centres always have their own flavour, so an unfamilar one can throw you off a bit (sometimes quite literally).
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Hi there,

Ok, you had a bad day and feel rubbish... please do not worry, it happens to everyone, it really does! I've been a gibbering wreck a number of times on terrain that I've cruised down before (even had to bum slide down DH tracks towing my bike after me while blubbing like a baby)!! :oops:
    The important thing now is to ride tracks you know well and feel very comfortable on and build up your confidence again slowly. If you can ride at a quieter time with a few supportive, girly mates that would be even better!
    A bit of coaching specifically aimed at the things you feel are a weakness will really help too. Pushing yourself outside the ol' comfort zone under the watchful eyes of a friendly coach does your riding so much good.. best money I spent last year was on coaching. Sorry I can' t recommend anyone where you are based but if you wanted your coaching in N. Wales I would definitely look up Campbell Coaching, Ally and Bob are really great (check out their website http://www.cambellcoaching.eu)

Good luck and don't give up, there are few enough of us out there as it is!!
  • gb2gw
    gb2gw Posts: 81
    I can only really echo what everyone else has said, you're definitely not alone and we've all been there. Actually, on occasion I still am there :lol:

I think I've been riding for about 6-7 years now, and I know I've considerably improved since my first tentative bruise-ridden, terrified, wobbly rides, but I know there'll always be people out there who ride more quickly, more skillfully and more confidently than me. And there'll always be days when it doesn't seem to come together and you feel the fear and you get annoyed and dejected and feel like you've taken two steps back. But then there'll be other days where it all really clicks and it feels great and that makes it all worthwhile.

I sympathise with getting put off when people gather round technical bits. Not good! Crowds and busy trails is one of the reasons I prefer natural stuff to trail centres. We rode a lovely 3 hour route from Ladybower in the Peak district on Saturday and although we occasionally saw a handful of other riders out and about en route, at no point was anyone on my rear wheel hankering to get past and it was really just me, hubby and two other mates and lovely peace and quiet and empty tracks (in the snow!)

I guess when I've had a bad day, the best approach for mehas been to just keep getting back on the bike until I have a good day again!

Skills coaching wouldn't hurt though I don't think - I've not had any before now but me and my mate are booked in for a 2-on-1 day in April with Tony Doyle at UK Bike Skills (aka 'Jedi') http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk/coaching.html. He's based in Hertford so not a million miles away from you in London. Have always heard great things about him but hubby went and did a days 1-on-1 with him last year and he was gobsmacked at how much Tony has totally transformed his riding. Missnotax on here has also been 'jedi'd' and would sing his praises too I think :)

In short though: please don't give it up!

Rosie
  • Bx
    Bx Posts: 33
    Well this is a familiar one, as all of the others have said! It may just be a girl thing but I'm sure boys have days like this and just don't tell anyone :lol:

We all have days where nothing works, everything looks terrifying and whilst you might normally have thought of having a go at a particular section, the crowd of onlookers does nothing but assure you that walking is the best option! I mean who wants to crash/wuss out/look like an idiot in front of people, so unless you're sure of glory then walking always seems like the safest choice. That said I have found people to be very supportive and if you pluck up the courage to have a go I wouldn't be suprised to hear people congratulating you for trying it even if it doesn't go quite as planned!

I think Faye is right, somedays it's just like this and it definitely doesn't mean you can't ride, nor does it mean it will be the same next time you go out. I deal with it by proclaiming to my riding buddies that I'm having a "ride like a **** day" (insert insult as appropriate!) and then either pootle around enjoying the scenery and watching the others do the stupid stuff or if it's close enough I retire early to the pub!

Accept and embrace the rubbish days as they can make you feel better about your riding ability on the good days! Go and ride in nice places that you know you like and remind yourself why you love riding and that, actually, you are quite good at it and one day doesn't make you rubbish. Please don't give up :D
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    rosie, not long to go now :)
  • bumpa
    bumpa Posts: 1
    This thread has really cheered me up as I thought I was the only one who had confidence issues.

Mrs Toast sums it up perfectly - I have 'negative head' days when nothing comes together and my bike is threatened with posting on e-bay but I've never go through with it! I've found sometimes riding round on easy stuff for 10-15 mins helps settle my mind and I feel ready to have another go.

I regularly ride at Sherwood Pines and feel confident on the terrain but when we go to Dalby Forest it's a different matter. I mark the trail centre map with happy and sad faces and then link up the happy sections with fire roads, maybe I'll ride the hard bits one day when I'm ready. I prefer natural trails - no crowds, no braking bumps or blokes buzzing your back wheel. The Good Mountain Biking Guide is great for ideas.

Coaching definately helps - I'd recommend a one to one session if you can afford it as then you can focus on the areas you want to improve not just a standard syllabus.

Don't give up!
  • barbs
    barbs Posts: 16
    It has been really good reading this. There is normally a group of us that go out most weekends, consisting of mainly boys and then two girls (including me). I find that we are alway trying to measure up to them and keep up with them etc, which we never do so our confidence does get knocked sometimes, we have bad days where as in previous replies we have negative heads!!! when we are having these days the guys are always trying to tell us that we can do it but I think they forget that we are not at the same level as them so gets quite frustrating, but then we can do the same trail again the week after and are flying!! it is all in the head! We have been to Cannock and there are rocky bits that we had to walk down too but I think it is just practice and having the right head on, we went to cannock over a few week days so wasn't as busy so it maybe worth trying it then so you won't feel as if you are having to stop to let people past all the time, we are going again in June so I am hoping to do the whole thing without having to get off my bike!!!

I really want to do a skills course, the dirt divas keep popping up, I feel I would like a bit of training, a confidence boost and just to meet and ride with other female MTB ers, my partner feels the course will be a waste of money though and says it is all about reading skills maunals and practice!!!! what do you think? is he right or is it worth signing up for a day of teaching?
  • Jedi
    reading is fine if you learn better that way. others need to feel what they have to do or simply be told.
  • barbs
    barbs Posts: 16
    Have read quite a bit of essential skills in the mbr mags and I get what i should be doing in theory but when trying to put it in practice it just isn't happening!!
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Sorry Barbs.. but your partner is talking through his behind!! I've had 3 input sessions with different coaches (2 in the UK and 1 in France) none of them involved 'reading' anything..Of course there is practice of the new body/foot/head position etc but obviously to really nail a new skill it takes loads of practice and hundreds of repetitions in different situations but this is all down to you AFTER the skills course. If the coach has done their job well, they will have worked with you so you understand where you've been going wrong, and shown you how to tackle things that have worried you in the past by starting with the basics and getting you riding more smoothly and confidently. They use video analysis so you can really see your progress. With drop offs etc you start on really small ones and build up your confidence that way, the same applies to steep rocky terrain etc. It's all about knowing how doing it right 'feels' and this is where a coach earns their fee by putting you in the right position. This is soooo hard to do by just looking at pictures and reading about it in the mags.

Well worth the money in my opinion. Even the very best riders can pick up bad habits over time. I rode the Megavalanche last summer and definitely wouldn't have survived it without some coaching!!

Go for it and good luck, you'll find the experience really enjoyable too!

Kathg
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Completely agree with Kath and all the other lovely ladies above :D

I've done 3 skills courses (I think!) and I learnt loads from each one - although they were all very different. I can recommend both Jedi and Dirt Divas. Jedi has without doubt had the greatest effect on my riding, whilst Dirt Divas gives you the chance to mix with other MTBing ladies AND learn skills which can be a very confidence boosting experience.

I also find that women learn and ride very differently to blokes...... I have seen a lot of blokes who think they are better riders than they are, and rely on speed and bravado to clear stuff. Most female MTBers that I know underestimate their skills and are actually better than they give themselves credit for. I think women are just wired to 'risk assess' everything, whereas men just think 'f**k it!!!!' and give it a crack :lol:

Anyway, don't be too hard on yourself and don't give up - there are precious few girlies out there mountain biking, and we can't afford to lose any!!! :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Jedi
    miss notax wrote:
    Jedi has without doubt had the greatest effect on my riding, :D

high5 on the riding miss notax and thanks for the kind words :)
  • DXG82
    DXG82 Posts: 35
    Hi ladies
    Thanks so much for all your replies - really nice to know I am not alone in losing my confidence and feeling like a complete wimp at times!
    I have been back on the mountain bike once since my horrible day at Cannock and did a lot better - I fell off twice but there was lots of snow on the ground so that's my excuse!
    I have also booked onto the Dirt Divas course on 15 April so let's see what that has to offer.
    Thanks