Post-Crash Repairs

Devon Lad
Devon Lad Posts: 75
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
I was out for a ride on saturday, pottering along at 15mph and used this lull to reach around in my back pockets for a gel or something with both hands. At this moment, I passed a gate and unsurprisingly the gust of wind had me hitting the tarmac. :oops:
From my position of lying on my side still attached to the bike I checked to see if anyone had seen this embarrassing spectacle, and fortunately I was in luck. However my bike and my favourite, (and only) pair of bib longs weren't so lucky.
So the point of this post was to ask, can longs be reapaired somehow? Or somewhere?
In addition to this I was wondering what needs to be done to put my bike right. The right hood is bent inwards where it hit and bounced off the road. The lever still shifts and brakes. Is this likely to be a problem with the handlebars or will i need to comepletely replace the sti lever?
Just wanted to check to see if there was an easy way out before a bike shop insisted on me shelling out to restore my pride and joy back to its former glory!
Thanks In Advance

Comments

• phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    You can move the lever around with no drama. Just peel back the hoods and you should see a bolt on the outside of the shifter, near where it meets the bars. Loosen that off, correct the angle and tighten it up again.
  • Re the trashed bibs - depends on where they need repaired? You could try taking them to one of those high street alteration places.

Are they Assos or Rapha? If so they fix crashed damaged kit for free.
  • bourne1
    bourne1 Posts: 10
    You should take your longs to Boys there is always an old dear in the material section that will patch them up for a fiver and a box of roses. I've never crashed no handed before sounds scarey.
  • Thanks a lot! The lever is now correctly angled. Panic over! As for the longs, I was just wondering whether there was a standard repair technique for lycra and the like. I will take them into town and see what can be done. If all else fails I will just get a black marker pen and colour in the skin under the hole.....
    Thanks for all the help