Rider down... in 1899

el_presidente
el_presidente Posts: 1,963
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
My Mum is researching the family history, at the weekend she showed me this:

Death of Thomas Henry Marchant

Detailed reports of the accident, inquest, and funeral appear in the Beckenham & Penge Advertiser 22-Jun-1899 pp5c & 8d, and in the Beckenham Journal 24-Jun-1899.
It appears that he and business partner Mr Banton had been building up a cycle-making business for the past year, and Mr Marchant had entered the open half-mile handicap at the Civil Service Supply Association Sports on the Herne Hill track to promote the business. Running last he attempted to overtake the man in front, collided with him, and was thrown off his machine, sustaining head injuries from which he died 6 hours later. He initially refused medical treatment, which the Coroner pointed out was unwise in the case of head injuries, but no one was to blame for his death. He was buried at Reigate on 22-Jun-1899.
Further investigation suggests that the business was sold following Thomas's death, as directories and a photograph show cycle manufacturer Herbert B Smith at the shop, 105 Beckenham Road, Penge (now Penge High St) from 1901 until at least 1939. It later became a Singer sewing machine shop and is now a solicitor's.

The deceased Thomas Henry Marchant was my grandfather's uncle (so my great-great-uncle). He was 29 when he died.
<a>road</a>

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    ....and thus the helmet debate began.... :wink:

Half-mile handicap?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Having seen how you ride, I now know that it is in your genes so more forgiveable :wink:
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    1/2 mile handicap, either timed or distance starts, intention is all competitors finish at the same time.

I used to run in races like that all summer.
    FCN 12
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    neiltb wrote:
    1/2 mile handicap, either timed or distance starts, intention is all competitors finish at the same time.

I used to run in races like that all summer.

Just half a mile on a bike (even an 1890's bike) hardly seems worthwhile...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • neiltb
    If anything like the cycling at highland games, it would be on a fallow field. ie bumpy as all hell. 1/2 a mile would be all you could take before bits of you or the bike fall off.
    FCN 12
  • 500m sprint is a current velodrome discipline (though done as a TT rather than a race) so I don't see any reason why a half-mile sprint would not be a sensible race, especially as a handicap with a staggered start.
    <a>road</a>
  • neiltb wrote:
    If anything like the cycling at highland games, it would be on a fallow field. ie bumpy as all hell. 1/2 a mile would be all you could take before bits of you or the bike fall off.

Herne Hill velodrome would take offence to you comparing them to a field... even in 1899
    <a>road</a>
  • head injuries

Proof that helmets save lives I tell you :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • neiltb
    I hope they wouldn't take too much offence el_presidente, maybe it had been raining and their wooden slat track was all slippery.

I hopee a victorian toff in a top hat doesn't come after me.
    FCN 12
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    Quite interesting for me becuase it's only a couple of miles from where I live. I'll be wandering down Penge High St tomorrow afternoon and will take a quick peek at No. 105 if I pass it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    My Dad's father died in 1936 of a brain haemmorrage after falling off his bike.

He was in his 30's. :shock:
    FCN = 4