Dura Ace 7900SPD Pedals issue with clicking out

Pal
Pal Posts: 17
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Hi Guys,

After many hours of deliberation, I decided to buy SPD pedals after having Time RXS pedals
which came with the bike I bought a number of years ago.

I have never been completely happy with the clicking in of the RXS and looked to find a better solution.

Now that I have the SPD pedals, i have ridden them three or four rides, in and out of the pedals 50-60 times now.

I really have think first and twist my leg with a real "clunk" to get them out of the clips. I'm more concerned with general stopping at traffic and times when I may need to stop with less preparation.

I have reduced the clipping in spring tension but this has no affect on clicking in and out.

They are not a light smooth click in and out as I would expect. Is it just me being a wus, never having had new kit,
or is there any way to improve the action?

any suggestions or previous experience would be appreciated!

Comments

• Ultegra spd sl were the first clipless pedals I bought.
    A drop of 3 in 1 oil at the rear mechanism of the pedal solved the symptoms you describe for me.

Edit: Just had a thought, are you using the yellow cleats with float?

Your actual cleat position may be less than optimal. You would not notice this as the float would enable you to still maintain a natural pedal position.
    If you are having to twist your ankle right out to disengage then altering the cleat position on the shoe could help.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    A smear of Vaseline or grease on the clipping points helps until they bed in.
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 17
    Thanks,

I'll try that!