grips & gloves

Burnz0
Burnz0 Posts: 35
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
I recently bought a new bike and have only been out on it a few times, but yesterday noticed after a 2 hour ride my hands were cramping up so and my little fingers were tingling. I've been told wearing gloves will help but was wondering whether the grips have any effect as I noticed there's a huge selection available out there for what seems to be just a bit of rubber. So if anyone can suggest a cheapish pair of gloves and grips if they're worth changing??

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not enough info really - a pic of you on the bike (or even knowing what it is would help.
    First how tight are you gripping the bars. The 'death grip' is a common problem, try not to grip too hard.
    Then look at setup - repositioning brakes and shifters can make a big difference. Also look at riding position.
    Superstar sell excellent cheap grips. Unless it's really cold I just wear basic gloves for a bit of protection. Really cold I wear cheap ski gloves.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Burnz0
    Burnz0 Posts: 35
    It's a Decathlon Rockrider - set up as it left the shop. I wasn't grippinng too hard at all other than on the hills. Ill take a look at those you recommended
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    TBH I don't think new grips will be the solution. I would try everything else first.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Look for some gloves with a pad on the palm (sometimes its gel). This is the common way to solve problems with numb fingers.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    Definitely get some gloves. You need to go to a shop that has a good selection (Evans stores normally do) and try some on for size. I've found for me that the best gloves are Endura Full Monty in summer and Endura Dexter in winter.

Also consider the Ergon grips. They work extremely well. I've got the GP1 grips and will never go back to round grips.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.