unusual clipless moment

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
I had been warned that clipless moments happens to everyone at some point or another.

I recently fitted some new clipless pedals and today whilst at the cafe stop my bike just fell over all by itself, most unexpected! I now have the obligatory scratched paint on my pedals.

Luckily (?) my bike was wearing a Giro Atmos helmet on it's handlebars which took most of the impact, proving the need for helmets.

There were some fat sparrows (lots of cake) loitering and I think one had landed on my bike, bike weighs 8.5k to give you an idea of the size of the sparrows!
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    It's well known that clipless pedals emit a specially tuned electromagnetic field that interferes with the brains of newbies to cause irrational panic and paralysis when trying to unclip while stationary. This technology is fitted at the factory by gremlins, who are actually a highly advanced alien species from Enceladus, one of Saturn's moons. It is likely that the field emitted by the pedals interacted with global perturbations in the Higgs field being caused by the Large Hadron Collider to make one pedal much heavier than the other for a fraction of a millisecond. The sparrows, being highly curious and intelligent creatures, were probably just trying to monitor this event at the time and were not responsible for the bike falling over. Incidentally, some major pedal companies have recently realised that they can tap the gremlin technology in the pedals to provide approximate readings of power, hence the new wave of pedal-based power meters. They are asking for trouble if you ask me, they don't understand the technology and there is a good chance that they will create tiny oscillations in the bonding energies of the carbon molecules of the bike frame, with potentially disastrous effects on bottom bracket stiffness.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    neeb wrote:
    It's well known that clipless pedals emit a specially tuned electromagnetic field that interferes with the brains of newbies to cause irrational panic and paralysis when trying to unclip while stationary...

Thanks neeb, I had a feeling that this was the correct explanation for what was going on! :D

Just fitted some a530's to my hybrid so I guess the second law of thermodynamics will apply, won't it?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike