Which garmin edge?

andrewyzfr6
andrewyzfr6 Posts: 194
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
As it says, I'm confused by all the different versions.
Price not important
But can I get one to do: speed and cadence with heart rate for my road bike
And also show maps and routes for off road?
2011 Orange 224 evo race
2009 Orange 5 pro
2008 Scott Scale 30
2002 S-works m5 fsr

Comments

• arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    edited January 2012
    go for the enduro pack, contains cadence, hrm & o/s map. You can pick up the city navigator map cheaply if you want to add this. I ride off road & road and it's the dogs.

Got mine from Evans last year when they were running 20% off and paid £340. Also got them to swap the unit for the black and white version as didn't like the blue & white!
    Recommend you buy the garmin silicon rubber case, it's saved mine already.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    As it says, I'm confused by all the different versions.
    Price not important
    But can I get one to do: speed and cadence with heart rate for my road bike
    And also show maps and routes for off road?

if it's a Garmin edge you want with the maps and routing it has to be the Edge 800
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep has to be the 800 if you actually want a proper map.

Fairly sure you can't get OS mapping with the cadence sensor/HR strap though - have to buy that separately if you want the OS maps. Or you can have the City Navigator road maps with the cadence/HR bundle - more than adequate for the road, but less good off road.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Yep has to be the 800 if you actually want a proper map.

Fairly sure you can't get OS mapping with the cadence sensor/HR strap though - have to buy that separately if you want the OS maps. Or you can have the City Navigator road maps with the cadence/HR bundle - more than adequate for the road, but less good off road.

see my post above

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... B_150_Maps
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    be very wary of purchasing off winstanleys they have a very bad reputation,, look on google....

if you want maps then the edge 800 it is...

i have the 500 and it is an awesome bit of kit does all the stats you could want but does not display maps.. it does do routes but it is a very basic line with an arrow pointing you in the direction...
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Got my Edge 800 from Halfords with 1:50k map of UK for £249. Bought HR and cadence since from Amazon for about £30 + £50. It's the dog's ;-)
  • delcol wrote:
    be very wary of purchasing off winstanleys they have a very bad reputation,, look on google....

if you want maps then the edge 800 it is...

i have the 500 and it is an awesome bit of kit does all the stats you could want but does not display maps.. it does do routes but it is a very basic line with an arrow pointing you in the direction...

just used them a they were the first hit on google.......
  • Bought the 800 from eBay with the enduro pack for £320 delivered. Thanks for the help!
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • The os map option. Who does best price and what maps included? The whole of Britain?
    Ive just been using the gar in on the road bike which is on the tt in the house just now. I'm going out to Golspie in a hour, so ivevjust got to figure out how to get it to plot my route for when I plug it into the computer.
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • http://connect.garmin.com

IIRC you have to download a plugin, create an account then you're sorted. A nicer alternative is Strava, google this.