rivington

BOLTONBOXER
BOLTONBOXER Posts: 68
edited February 2012 in MTB beginners
i live in bolton trying to keep fit for my boxing, recently got my self a mountain bike only really used it for going to a from work but got my self a bike rack for my car and drove up to the first carpark near rivington school got on my bike and followed a few paths untill ended up following a bumpy path up to the top of the pike i tracked it on my phone it was 4mile up hill then 4 mile down a rocky riverbed looking thing not sure what its called which brought me out at another car park then i found my self heading back to the car it took bout an hour , but im only a beginner and would like more downhill off roading for a longer lengh of time ,,,,,,,,,,, can anybody help ????????????

Comments

• I'm from Bolton also. You probably ended up on the Pigeon tower run. You can link rides up round Rivi and also link it up with Healey Nab which is good for a few laps. Or head from the Pike up towards the Mast and down onto Belmont road near San Marinos.

Have a look on this as link up some rides.

http://www.wittonweavers.co.uk/?p=1752

I usually ride up from Egerton, up Horrocks fold and onto Scout road, then up Coal Pit road to the mast and then at the mast turn left and head down Pigeon Run, before heading over Hordern Stoops following the River Yarrow to Angelzarke Res and up to Healey Nab.

Where in Bolton are you?
  • I'm now living great lever but got my self a roof rack for my bike so can travel any were , im all new to off roading but today was great a new aspect of keeping fit for me , so im looking for nice routes to enjoy and learn :-)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There is a whole section on Rides, Routes and Holidays - lots of info in there, plus it's a good place to find riding buddies in your area.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I'm now living great lever but got my self a roof rack for my bike so can travel any were , im all new to off roading but today was great a new aspect of keeping fit for me , so im looking for nice routes to enjoy and learn :-)
    Giz a shout if your out matw. Live in Harwood. Dont have a car at moment. But Rivingtons an hours ride frome mine.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    sounds like you did devils drop. aka ice cream run... thats got to be one of the best runs up rivi..

as mentioned there is loads of riding up there you can loose yourself for hours and gain some altitude.. if you look in the routes section there is a thread on rivi with links of routes ect...

also worth a trip is lee quarry over at stacksteads nr bacup.... or a short 45-50mins is gisburn forest some excellent trails there.
  • delcol wrote:
    sounds like you did devils drop. aka ice cream run... thats got to be one of the best runs up rivi..

as mentioned there is loads of riding up there you can loose yourself for hours and gain some altitude.. if you look in the routes section there is a thread on rivi with links of routes ect...

also worth a trip is lee quarry over at stacksteads nr bacup.... or a short 45-50mins is gisburn forest some excellent trails there.
    Thanks ill have a look
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    I ride to rivington once or twice a week from great lever/deane. Its about 40 mins from my door to the top.
    Recently ive been going straight up to the mast and down into belmont before goong back up to the pike. There are loads of great runs to be found if you explore
    Papa? Nicole
  • mintedox wrote:
    I ride to rivington once or twice a week from great lever/deane. Its about 40 mins from my door to the top.
    Recently ive been going straight up to the mast and down into belmont before goong back up to the pike. There are loads of great runs to be found if you explore
    Thanks ill have a mooch bout I put my bIke on the car and went to heley nab last weekend was great cnt wait go again were else do u ride