Shaimano Shifter 770

flappy8
flappy8 Posts: 172
edited January 2012 in The workshop
Hi All,

I've had a weird shifting issies in my Sirrus, 105 rear mech, flat bar 770 shifters where I was having trouble getting the higher gears and I presumed that that the mech was getting lazy and needed a clean. I pulled it off and gave it a good cleaning. Still had issues on reassembly and then suspected the lever. The lever now seems to have got jammed as I can't click it either way.

I presume that the shifter should work (index up and down) even with out tension and so the lever is knackered. Am I correct?

Are these reparirable or is it a bin and replace job?
MTB or Road - They are both good!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you shifted the lever without tension on the cable it is most likely that you have now jammed the cable nipple into the internals.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • flappy8
    thanks nicklouse,

I'll have a look at that end of it then - so it may not be terminal... good job I just looked at the price of them!
  • flappy8
    So the cable was completely frayed inside. I've managed to remove it. With the lever assembles it sill won't click up or down, so I assume is properly broken.

Fair assumption?
  • www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-roa ... aid:366650

If they turn out to be borked, they're relatively cheap here.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • flappy8
    Thanks for that Carlos - its definately broken after further investigation!