Newbie tyre pressure help

daysofspeed
daysofspeed Posts: 105
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Bike bought online. Tyres pumped. Ridden twice.

Strikes me I have no idea what the pressures are or should be. How often do I check and how?

Cheers!

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    100 Bar.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    How heavy are you, and what size are the tyres.

As a general rule of thumb, between 90-110psi
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    It depends on the size and type of tyres, but they will generally have a maximum pressure on the side of them, and sometimes a minimum as well. To some extent it's then a case of adjusting for your weight and personal preference.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Pressure printed on tyre is maximum and will not neccesarily give you the best handling or feel. Factors include rider weight, road surface and weather conditions. Continental themselves suggest that once you get above 6 bar, you reach a plateau in terms of performance as the road surface doesn't get any smoother. Run the tyres too low and you'll suffer impact or snake-bite punctures. Fronts should always be a little less than rear as there is less weight and it helps with grip. Generally, between 90 to 110 psi is sufficient for most road users.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    rake wrote:
    100 Bar.

100 bar is over 1,400psi - you sure about that..?
  • Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    100 psi on mine. tyres are 700x25
  • PhildB
    PhildB Posts: 73
    Bit less than maximum in hot weather as it'll expand, and could burst
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    PhildB wrote:
    in hot weather as it'll expand, and could burst

:lol:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    There is a minimum which will avoid "snakebites" (where the pressure is not enough to stop the bumps making the wheel rims cut through the tube leaving two punctures that look like a snakebite), and a maximum that the manufacturer will stamp on tyres and an optimum in between.

Minimum can be found here, although you will need a large amount of subjective weighting ratio. The optimum is down to you and a bit of experimenting.

Failing that, Monty Dog's 90-100psi advice will suffice as a starter for ten.
  • danowat wrote:
    How heavy are you, and what size are the tyres.

As a general rule of thumb, between 90-110psi

14st 10lb (dropping by the week!) & Specialized All Condition Sport, 700x25c.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Failing that, Monty Dog's 90-100psi advice will suffice as a starter for ten.

Cheers - and the really thick bit, how do I check? Yet to get pump. Like the look of Barbieri CarbOn but can't see any gauge on it?
  • Topeak Joe Blow Sport Bike Pump:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165661
    One of these will do you nicely.
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Get a track pump with a guage - and a small pump to carry on the road with you.

The Joe Blow is a great pump - but if you don't want to stretch to that this

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... rack-pumps

is a fair bit cheaper.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +2. Track pump with a gauge, and a mini pump for emergencies on the road.

I have the Joe Blow Sport track pump in the garage, and the Topeak Road Morph on the frame. I like the Road Morph cos it's like a mini track pump and can easily reach 100 psi.

I have 25mm Conti 4 seasons and I'm 10.5 stone, and I find that 70-80 psi front and 80-90 psi rear give me the best in terms of comfort vs puncture protection.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    danowat wrote:
    PhildB wrote:

This actually does happen, read about it somewhere... think it was an write up of a triathlon event or something -> all the bikes were left in the sun in the changeover area and tyres were popping

if you fill your tyres to maximum when its cold, then its gets pretty hot during the day in the sun then they can pop

eg in mountains it can easily be -10C at night.. then 25-30C during the day
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You don't want to get anywhere near maximum PSI. Gives a bumpier ride and you can also blow them out on long descents - that's not fun.

I ride Conti GP4000s at about 90 PSI.
  • Blancmange wrote:
    Topeak Joe Blow Sport Bike Pump:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165661
    One of these will do you nicely.

+1 bought one recently and thought "why hadn't I bought one of these before?!"
    Brilliant kit and so easy to keep those pressures consistent.
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Basically you need one of these to pump your tyres up

topeak-tjb-s5-med.jpg?w=350

One of these in case you get a puncture on the road

lezyne-c02-triggerdrive-med.jpg?w=350

More of these in case you run out

lezyne-cartridgepack5-med.jpg?w=350

And one of these in case you use all of the above

lezyne-pressure-drive-2012-med.jpg?w=350

Sorted
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Take a look here, I am sure Michelin understand the whole tyre pressure thing more than any of us, they are after all in that business, therefore it is in their interest to get it right in order to retain customers.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/bicycle/learn ... ure-curves
  • Tyre pressure is a preference based on many factors, but play around till you find something you prefer and like riding.

+ another one for a track pump (a Joe Blow is my chosen weapon of choice)

& I carry a Topeak on my bike.
  • Cheers guys - all very logical once you know it.

Appreciate the help and the patience for what is, admittedly, an extremely daft question for you seasoned riders to answer :)
  • Dont be putting 100 bar in. Think Rake has his psi confused with Bar. more in the region of 6.5- 7 bar or 100 psi.All depends on your weight m8.
  • Grabbed a cheap Raleigh hand pump with a gauge.

Either my tyres were/are ludicrously low or the gauge is wonky - or a properly inflated tyre is way harder than I realise. Gauge said 30psi and I can't get much more than 60psi in by hand and without thinking the tyres will pop!

I need to get me that Joe Blow ASAP....
  • PhildB
    PhildB Posts: 73
    danowat wrote:
    PhildB wrote:

This actually does happen, read about it somewhere... think it was an write up of a triathlon event or something -> all the bikes were left in the sun in the changeover area and tyres were popping

if you fill your tyres to maximum when its cold, then its gets pretty hot during the day in the sun then they can pop

eg in mountains it can easily be -10C at night.. then 25-30C during the day

:lol::lol::lol::mrgreen:
  • Hand pumps pump your arms up. Track pumps pump your tyres up. ;)
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • I demand that along with bike lanes that cars cannot park in the country gets a Presta track pump outside every garage & coffee shop.