Minion DHF rolling on Superstar XC430 rims - Problem?

bigpee
bigpee Posts: 205
edited February 2012 in MTB general
I'm currently running 2.35 Maxxis Minion DHFs on Superstar XC430 rims on the front of my bike. The forks are 150mm RS Sektors with 15mm maxle lite. Whilst I'm not pulling big airs on some jumps when I don't land perfectly and the front is slightly at an angle I can hear the tyre rubbing against the fork. It's been suggested that the tyre is deforming and rolling slightly causing the rubbing. I know Minions are supposed to come up small and whilst the rims are narrow Superstar say they can take 2.4 tyres. My question(s) is this - is my tyre deforming (as opposed to flex in the fork) and if so is it a problem (is there a risk of the tyre coming off)? Apart from the noise it feels ok but one day I might actually pull a big jump and I don't want my tyre flying off when I land (and I really like the minions so want to keep them if possible)! Cheers for any advice.
Current bikes:
Norco Sight 3 SE (on order)
Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
Commencal META 55 custom build (Stolen :( )
Boardman HT Comp 2010
GT Avalance 1.0 2006(ish)

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Sounds more like a wheel issue, play in the bearings, or the spokes need retensioning, or maybe you weigh 200kg :lol:
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like a wheel issue.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bigpee
    Hadn't thought of the wheel - I shall check everything is how it should be. Ta for the pointers. (And I'm a few pies away from 200kg ;) ).
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    How much air in the tyre?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bigpee
    Northwind wrote:
    How much air in the tyre?

Knew I forgot to mention something :oops: . At the moment given the mud I run them around 30psi although I get the impression my track pump under reads so it is more likely 35psi.
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • Northwind
    Ought to be fine then... Sektor's got no shortage of clearance so it'd take a hell of a lot of weird tyre deformation to do this, it's the wheel IMO. And way outwith acceptable flex, if it is.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    i run these tyres, same forks, same PSI

i have the wider SS AM490 rims and have no problems
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    I run 2.35 minions on mavic rims and 2.25 nobby nics on the superstar xc 430 rims. The xc rims are a helluva lot narrower than the mavics, but the nics are pretty big for 2.25 and they're fine on my recon forks. Would suspect your issue lies elsewhere. Mind you, given the weight difference in the rims I'm not sure I'd want to be running the XC430s with a bike equipped with 150mm forks - that however, is probably just me being paranoid.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • Northwind
    FWIW a mate of mine uses the XC430s on an Mmmbop and it gets pretty well hammered, they've been fine... Nice build too, not as good as my local guy but better than my CRC 721s.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    bigpee wrote:
    (And I'm a few pies away from 200kg ;) ).

200Kgs? :shock:

Surely you mean 200lb
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    bigpee wrote:
    (And I'm a few pies away from 200kg ;) ).

200Kgs? :shock:

Surely you mean 200lb
    I think he was joking.
  • bigpee
    Thanks for all the input. I've checked the wheel and there doesn't seem to be any play. However it made me realise I'd only been doing up the maxle loosely (over tightened it once and managed to shear the edge of the quick release section when removing it hence been cautious since). I'll give it a run out with it tightened up more thoroughly.

And yes - the 200kg remark was in reference to the first reply and very much a joke ;) .
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • bigpee
    Problem solved and I feel a touch silly.

I have a bib on the forks and under maximum compression this was going slack and laying on top of the tire, causing the noise. Do'h. (although glad an obvious answer with a free solution).
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010