cyclocross

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
just watching the women at it Here

Looks great+knackering, has anyone tried it?
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    just watching the women at it Here
    Looks great+knackering, has anyone tried it?
    You haven't tried "it" with women Cleat? You're missing a real pleasure, and yes, if you do it ritght, it is knackering.

Oh cyclocross, sorry :oops:
  • hehe
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • eede
    eede Posts: 58
    Heres a screen shot of what I got when I clicked your link:

Think I'll give cyclocross a miss :D
    Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/friends/
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I got a video of a bridge being bulit!

Yep, I race Cyclocross every winter. It's brutal and great way to stay fit over the winter.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    It's the one sport I really wish I'd tried when I was young, fit and not too bothered about the cold and mud on a sunday morning. However, I don't regret my time on the football field during those weekends...I just wish there was enough time for both in a lifetime!
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Age should be no barrier. I race in the 40-49 Vets and regularly get beaten by a guy in hos 60s!
  • Been some years since I raced "cross", it's a brutal cycling discipline requiring so many different types of skills and judgements.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I've competed in most types of cycle sport and I can say from my point of view it's by far the hardest.
  • Just completed last race of the eastern cross league season. 54 at christmas never raced before finished 42nd out of 92 in league final standings, absolutely killed me whilst racing but brilliant, everyone should try it. Only the team event to go Saturday week. Great fun
  • I got a video of what looked like a Dutch Inspector Gadget lecturing in front of a Big Band...
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I'm just coming to the end of my second season of 'cross having raced on the road (in TTs and road racing) and on the track (a long time ago!) and without a doubt cyclocross is the most fun and most accessible cycling discipline I've done. There are typically 300-400 participants at the West Midlands League events ranging from 8-year-olds to over 75-year-olds, complete beginners to national champions, cheap-MTB riders to those on the lightest, fastest, most expensive 'cross bikes - it doesn't matter in 'cross: everyone is there to enjoy throwing themselves into the challenge of getting round a tricky off-road circuit as fast as they possibly can. The circuits are very short so nobody is ever a long way from 'home', everyone is fully involved and trying their hardest for the whole race and everyone gets a great workout (and possibly very muddy).

If anyone is even half-tempted to have a go at cyclocross don't hesitate - you'll have a ball! Nobody need ever feel they're not good enough and everyone is very friendly. You don't even need to be in a club or a member of British Cycling. If you live in the West Midlands you're very lucky because our league is extremely well run and very popular. (We even have timing chips now so we have precise lap times for every race.) Everything you need to know is here: http://www.waldrons.wmccl.net/site/index.php See you next season!

Ruth
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Ruth has said it all.

Here she is doing it (and very well too!):
    7411.jpg

It's easy to get into, it's fun and everyone has a great time. You can take it very seriously or just ride your bike as fast as you can for 40 mins (vets, ladies, juniors) or an hour (seniors).

I take photos at the WMCCL events at Sundorne (and the recent National Trophy final) and often think I ought to have a go.... but taking photos is easier :wink:
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Did my first proper Cross race in Oct, beautiful sunny day but was mud as thick as shit. Enjoyed it immensely but not had time to enter a follow up, was a wee bit concerned by the damage done to bikes. Great atmosphere woudl reccommend it.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Great photos, Simon. You haven't seen me at my best at Shrewsbury - that course and I really don't get on! I've started four races there and only finished two and those two were not my best performances by a long way. The course there plays to all my weaknesses and shows up all my inexperience - basically it's very technical. You should come and join in though - there will be other races apart from yours that you can photograph!

Anyway, that pic was taken at a summer event which isn't really proper 'cross because the conditions were warm and dry. This is a bit more like it: Muddy 'cross!

Ruth
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Yes, my photo was from one of the Friday evening events last August. It was warm, the course was bone dry and semi-slicks were the way to go. No need for a bike change or powerwasher that day. Everyone looked much slower last week, the thawing mud was really sticky, though again Liam Killeen looked super-classy and really smooth.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.