who wears cycling caps?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
i really like the look of those gaunty cycling caps but obviously i would not wear them without a helmet on, i have seen pics of people with them on under a helmet but don't think i have seen anyone out with them on. so do any of you wear them?
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• I wear a cap whilst cycling, though obviously without a helmet :wink: It's not very gaunty (jaunty?); I bought it from Millets for £2.50.
  • I have a knog plain one, that I use when colder and wetter, the peak keeps the rain out of your eyes so you can see where your going.

should get a summer one really, as the knog is far too warm.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    I wear one too for the same reason as above. With the short peak on a helmet my glasses would always get covered in rain so i couldn't see where i was going and kept having accidents. The longer peak on a Karrimoor hiking cap keeps the rain off so i tend not to have accidents in the first place. Also keeps the rain off your head better than a helmet and the peak can be used to block out oncoming headlights from cars when cycling down pitch black country lanes (fuckers never dip their lights). Also has the advantage that you can just fold it up or hang it off the back of your backpack when things get too hot .
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I do, not having any hair on top I feel the cold through the vents on my helmet so it helps with that and also as has been said it helps in the rain, I don't in the summer as it's too warm but cold autumn morning winter and the same in spring is when I wear them.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I wear one all the time - well all the time while riding, they wouldn't go down so well in a client meeting or at a funeral!

Summer - take the sweat from your brow - drips off via the peak and doesn't go in your eyes. Keeps sun out of your eyes and keeps bees/wasps from your helmet vents!

Winter - helps to keep your head warm. Combine with a buff for your ears if necessary.

I have these:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPYQ5WvRB7EANUmKYXJ2e_dZi5LQARLhU3fd979pquSCZ3DTtzFA
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCu4LeRjppZs6dXFHE5W-HneZjY9Qxe4kbZbyrYg97_evz8F7x

And two of these:

LMNH-TdF11.jpg
    Technically breaking a rule, but they seem to go out of the window when you're stood on the side of the road in the Alps!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I generally don't wear a helmet so i rely on a black and white Knog for safety protection. If i do wear a helmet the Knog sits underneath to stop wasps n bees in the summer and the cold in the winter.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    oh this is all very good as i now can justify buying one....or 3 lol thank you ! ;-)
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    For training in the rain, if its not cold enough for a beanie.

Never train in a helmet, obviously.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    edited January 2012
    Paul E wrote:
    I do, not having any hair on top I feel the cold through the vents on my helmet so it helps with that and also as has been said it helps in the rain, I don't in the summer as it's too warm but cold autumn morning winter and the same in spring is when I wear them.

This.

I've got a Wilier Big Maggy's, a Renner and a Rapha. I also wear a Rapha wool winter hat which is essentialy a cap with ear protection.
  • I wear one on every ride, helmet or otherwise. Rapha caps are the best ive tried by a long way.
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    I wear one most of the time - Rapha cotton thing in summer, especially uphill to keep the sweat out of my eyes. In winter I have an Assos Fuguhelm - best warm cap money can buy :-) Never wear a helmet though, except when riding in Spain - it's the law!
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    ANother cap wearer here!

When it's raining I always wear one, but on dry-cold days I wear a wind-stop fleecy "beanie" hat. Always with a helmet on top.

In the summer, I usually dont bother with anything under the helmet, but sometimes I will wear a cap if I think it's going to get a bit wet.
  • smithaay
    smithaay Posts: 114
    Yep.
    I got a rouleur one as it keeps your head warm and also keeps the sweat away whilst training.
    Eat.Ride.Sleep.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    I wear a helmet with one of those bluff things underneath. It looks a bit piratical, but soaks up sweat in the summer and stops the sunburn through the vents. Keeps me warm in the winter too.

But for the peak, I have an mtb one on my helmet. I'm aware there's a rule but it gives my nose some shade and stops most of the rain.