What is the best bike lock?

Burno
Burno Posts: 5
edited December 2014 in Commuting general
Hi I have been looking at locks and I've heard that The Abus Granit X-plus 54 and the Kryptonite New York 3000 (is it the standard?) are pretty much the best out there! Although, Kryptonite released the New York Fahgettaboudit Mini which is supposed to be very good also! Any tips on what I should get? Size? I also need to get cables to secure my front wheel so any help on these would be greatly appreciated

Also what is the difference between the TEX-KF TWIN BRACKET or the EaZyKF frame bracket??

Thanks

Comments

• I can't help with the bracket element but I bought the Kryptonite New York 3000 Standard for £50ish from Amazon, plus a 7ft Kryptonite Kryptoflex cable for £10. Together these do a good job (so far) of keeping my bike secure at work.

The NY lock is very sturdy, has a nice weather cover for the lock mechanism, and under testing in a couple of articles I read it was only breakable with a portable angle grinder, and even this took 2 minutes.

I use it to secure my mountain bike to a bike rack and I find it to be too small to fit through both the rear wheel and the frame at once, but this is probably because of the beefy tyres. The Kryptoflex cable is long enough to run through both wheels, the frame, and the lock anywho.

I like the Kryptonite stuff so far, very comforting strength! Hope this helps.
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    Everything you wanted to know about locks but were afraid to ask!

http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    Just ordered the NY 3000 & 7 foot cable from Tredz for £62.
  • ptr_
    ptr_ Posts: 126
    I've got a Kryptonite Evo Mini, I only use it for my singlespeed pub bike and I'm confident it offers enough protection. Only £36 and feels nice and sturdy although pales in comparison to my brothers NY 3000, but then that's far too heavy to lug about.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kry ... o-ec027275
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Basically any that is approved by your insurance.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    The Kryptonite NY and Abus granit locks seem to come out top in tests. The top end Abus locks are very expensive though. I wander how much more secure a £180 Abus is versus the top of the range Kryptonite lock at £75?
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    About 2% more secure. No lock is going to defeat a determined thief with power tools.
    I used to work in transporting of works of art, one job was to collect some things from one of the wealthiest women in the world, from her house in Monaco. Having got the stuff on the truck I realised that I had no secure padlock, so I got some 'petty cash' from the boss and went in to town and bought an £80 padlock. Arriving back in London, I realised that I had left the keys to this lock on the dining table in Monaco (d'oh!). Outside the house (one of three that she owned in Eaton Square) were some guys laying paving stones and kerbstones. I asked the guy with the angle-grinder if there was any way to get this brute of a lock off of the back of the truck. "No problem at all mate, I'll just have to change the blade". It was about 15 seconds' work. I got a £200 tip. He refused to accept even a £20, "we all make mistakes"...
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    wakou wrote:
    About 2% more secure. No lock is going to defeat a determined thief with power tools.
    I used to work in transporting of works of art, one job was to collect some things from one of the wealthiest women in the world, from her house in Monaco. Having got the stuff on the truck I realised that I had no secure padlock, so I got some 'petty cash' from the boss and went in to town and bought an £80 padlock. Arriving back in London, I realised that I had left the keys to this lock on the dining table in Monaco (d'oh!). Outside the house (one of three that she owned in Eaton Square) were some guys laying paving stones and kerbstones. I asked the guy with the angle-grinder if there was any way to get this brute of a lock off of the back of the truck. "No problem at all mate, I'll just have to change the blade". It was about 15 seconds' work. I got a £200 tip. He refused to accept even a £20, "we all make mistakes"...

yeah - but the important question is.....what bikes did she own?
  • lnwpen88 wrote:
    No lock is going to defeat a determined thief with power tools.royal1688

....which is why you get a lock to satisfy your insurance as pointed out before ;)

Or you get a dirt cheap 2nd hand (but usable) bike that makes buying insurance pointless? I'd possibly go this route if my journey was shorter and I had to leave my bike on the street
  • i use the kryptonite new york and cable combination at work and if travelling to the dentist etc i canny a silver rated hiplock d lock as its less bulky/lighter. never had any issues with either.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Another option to protect wheels is replacing the standard quick release for somthing like this http://goo.gl/eRP2PT.
    Anyone has any experience with this kind of systems?