New bike prep

coopsman1
coopsman1 Posts: 337
edited January 2012 in Workshop
I have just taken delivery of a new Canondale Supersix 105, I was wondering if it worth fitting a quick link connector to the chain now before riding it. I'm just thinking does it make sense?

I suppose it makes cleaning the chain easier in the future.

I have done the usual and put frame protector patches in the usual cable rub areas. Is there anything else I should think about doing?

Just asking because this is my first carbon bike.

Comments

• ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    I'd be check the headset was correctly tightened. I agree with the quick link, great for cleaning purposes.

but. I'd say get it 'safe' and go for a short ride then check as things will settle out a little, like bars and seat post etc.
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Don't need to do it now; just put a quick link in the first time you have to break the chain.

Just check the tyre pressures and make sure the brakes are working and the QR skewers are done up before you venture out.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    check the derailleur limt screws are set properly. A mate of mine took delivery of a new bike from a well known cycle retailer, first trip out the rear mech shifted into the wheel, destroying mech, mech hanger and damaging wheel.