Another new bike (hardtail) thread with a twist.

Teach
Teach Posts: 386
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
This isn't one of these post asking which of these two bikes do I buy, but a few observations and hopefully some comments from you lot. :D
I have a basic old (block brakes) specialized, but don't like the riding position. It's been good for canal paths, but I've recently started to become hooked.
I want a bike that will do forest trails, cross country etc. I am not looking at doing any drops (but that might happen), but certainly not jumps and fast down hill descents.
Up until last night I was going to buy a full suspension bike,(about £1500)
I started to surf yet again, but everytime I looked at a bike and read a review for the forks, or the rear suspension etc, I moved on to the next bike and the next price bracket. By the end of last night was trying to persuade my wife that I did need a £3500 bike, which I don't.
Having been out today my bike did what everyone elses did, even if stopping was a little scary at times.
I can hear you all crying of course you NEED the £3500 bike, but I know I dont and I know there are many cheaper bikes that will more than perform for me.
Now with FS bikes I know the quality of suspension is a big percentage of the cost.
I'm now thinking of buying a hardtail, but which one?
Ignoring all the PR skills the companies possess and all the pressure from forums, but what do we actually need?
I assume that as you spend more money you get lighter frames and better specs, but surely providing the frame isn't a BSO or made of lead, all we really need is a cheapish hardtail (£500). Most components break and wear on bikes over time so we can upgrade the suspension if so required etc eg GT avalanche 1 £449. Surely it does everything a bike needs to do?
Am I being lead by glossy pictures and technical specs or will the avalanche or something similar do the job more than adequately?
Any comments, suggestion for bikes would be appreciated. I know I'd rather be spending £500 but am I missing something?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Decathlon Rockrider 8.1, problem solved!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    supersonic wrote:
    Decathlon Rockrider 8.1, problem solved!
    or carrera fury, cant really go wrong with either
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Teach
    I can't argue with you, but what do you really get for the more expensive bikes? A designer brand? Or are they significantly better? Cheers.
  • supersonic
    As you say lighter weight, and often better performance. The gears are often slicker and longer lasting. Forks are more adjustable with superior damping. Lighter wheels accelerate faster.

Above about a grand, or a bike with a Reba fork on it, it is a case of diminishing returns. The Rockrider and Fury are stand out bikes at £500, and are actually better specced than some 1k bikes!
  • Teach
    Thank you. I think I am finally sorted. Boardman MTB. £599. eaves me quite a bit to buy new kit!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'm very much an advocate of the long travel steel hardtail category, might cost a little more, but I just love the geometry on those frames (on one 456, ragley blue pig etc), you can just give them so much stick without worrying too much.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Teach
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I'm very much an advocate of the long travel steel hardtail category, might cost a little more, but I just love the geometry on those frames (on one 456, ragley blue pig etc), you can just give them so much stick without worrying too much.
    I do like the blue pig, but if we are back at this level what about the orange crush.
    That's what my heart says, but as I posted originally do I need such a bike or will the boardman actually do the job, or will it always be lacking?
  • supersonic
    Not just a case of more money, but different types of bikes too. These are heavier, slacker and more stable, not always good for xc.
  • Here Teach

type this into the voucher box on halfords, that's if your still getting the boardman

NUSJAN12

leaves you even more to buy new kit! :D
  • foy
    foy Posts: 296
    edited January 2012
    supersonic why are you so hung up on the decathlon brand do you get paid a wad of cash to tell us all how good they are lol! i admit that they are well specced for the price but the reinforcing gussets on the frame are butt ugly and leave a lot to be desired. have you ever rode one of the decathlon brand as you seem to like them a lot? kindest regards as you are the main man on here me thinks and that is why i am asking you this question to be honest lol!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd rather have a bike with decent spec than a pretty one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I likes the pretty ones i do ......
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • supersonic
    cooldad wrote:
    I'd rather have a bike with decent spec than a pretty one.

This. I ride the bikes, not look at them! The Decathlon and Carrera Fury are the two best performiing and best value bikes at half a grand. By far!
  • The Decathlon one looks good and I have heard good things about the Rockrider.
    However, what about this Diamondback for £100 less
  • supersonic
    The Decathlon one looks good and I have heard good things about the Rockrider.
    However, what about this Diamondback for £100 less

Awful fork ruins it I am afraid.
  • foy
    foy Posts: 296
    edited January 2012
    well supersonic who am i a mere mortal to argue with you as you have 69329 posts and you are the daddy of them all on here lol! just for the record are the mainstream bike companies frames all made in the same factories in the far east or do they have their own individual factory where they make their own frames. i have often been told that giant and merida manufacture frames for other bike companies is this true?
  • supersonic
    Yep, Giant make frames for many people including GT. Merida are the same - they part own Specialized and make most their frames. Merida also makes the Decathlon stuff! Kinesis manufacture for many big names too.