Training amounts?

The Man Chump
The Man Chump Posts: 81
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys, I'm training for a local 50 miler with the view to doing 100 next year.
Time allows approx 100-130 miles practice.
Does that seem about ok?
Thoughts?

Comments

• Sorry that is 100-130 miles per week at the moment.
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    Hi,

Do you have any full days riding - where you'll do 50-60 miles in one go? I suspect you're fine for the 50 miler. Not sure about the 100 miler though - I've never done one of them.
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • The longest so far is 30 miles i'll ramp up the dstances for next year.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    If you start ramping up the distances now, you'll be fine for the 100 @ easter this year!!!

Best thing to do is find yourself a few local loops, so you do your 30mi loop, then start adding some local loops to add up the distance. If you struggle, you'll never be too far away from home.

Also i'd say that with rides over 30mi, make sure that you start eating something whilst you ride.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I went from 20 mile rides on my MTB, to doing a 250 miles ride over 3 days with the middle day being 108 miles and the final day going sea level to over Sally Gap (highest road in Ireland) last year. Took 4 months of training to do for me, so to build to 100 miles is easily do-able over a year. Its more than just riding and clocking up the miles though - its getting your diet and recovery right too. As Anto says, you need to start eating during rides, and eat before you feel you need it or its too late.
  • I'm going to try snacking when I up the distance to 35 or 40 miles (couple of weeks)
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    The longest so far is 30 miles i'll ramp up the dstances for next year.

It might be better if you find out the terrain of your 50 miler to make sure there are no nasty surprises, 8 mile climbs etc. I'd also want at least 1 x 50 mile route under my belt so I knew I could stay in the saddle that long. Anything could slow you down on the day and make that extra 20 miles (which is more than 1/3rd of your race) hellish.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you look at the local charity bike ride round here - you'll see all sorts of people - shapes and sizes easily knocking out 30 miles. And a few of them ride back again. I really doubt that a good 50% of these have done any training whatsoever for it.

If you're at 30 miles now - you could do 50 in a fortnight. And that's being cautious. Its really nothing. What - 4 hours of cycling tops ? Hell I know people racing long distance triathlons where you have to ride 112 miles and they wont be putting in 100 miles of training a week until later in the season.
  • wardieboy
    wardieboy Posts: 230
    Just remember to eat before you need to.
  • Eat properly and have enough water and carbs with you will be fine, even for the 100 miler if you take it easy.

I did my first 100 miler with no specific training, I had never riden more than about 30 in one shot before and other than a very sore rear, had no trouble at all.
  • Cool, thanks guys. I have taken all on board (I'd like to do the 50 in 3 hours or less!