Amazon Kindle problems.

specialeyes
specialeyes Posts: 542
edited January 2012 in The hub
Will be returning the kindle for the 4th time on Monday, usual screen crack problems. It's the WiFi keyboard version. Trouble is, I bought it for the wife 6 months ago and she absolutely loves it (when its working). I've seen people that have had more problems in the same time frame so its clearly a massive issue. Anyhoo getting a full refund.

So does anyone on here have a kindle/experienced the same issues?
Does anyone have the newer version without keyboard and know if it suffers from the same problems?

it feels a lot like the xbox rrod situation to me. Maybe the newer 89 quid kindle has solved these issues.

Comments

• bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    no problems with mine nor with my brothers. mine did freeze once while looking through a pdf and the f key for changing to a new track on the music player doesnt work but apart from that nothing wrong.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    In just under a year, the wife has had the screen break on hers once - new one turned up the next morning and they collected the old one - they were fantastic in responding to it. Has been faultless otherwise. I have had one for a few months and that has been fine too. You must have been REALLY unlucky or be doing something wrong for the screen to go 4 times...!
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Wow. No problems with my keyboard version and i lug it around with me in my backpack when i'm cycling. Gets dumped on the floor at work and kicked around all day. Do keep it in a hard case cover though, inside a water tight zip bag....
  • apreading wrote:
    In just under a year, the wife has had the screen break on hers once - new one turned up the next morning and they collected the old one - they were fantastic in responding to it. Has been faultless otherwise. I have had one for a few months and that has been fine too. You must have been REALLY unlucky or be doing something wrong for the screen to go 4 times...!

She has treated it extra careful! Amazon are really quick to replace because they know its a manufacturing fault. I'm really interested to know if the new version is suffering from the same defects.
    The replacements they sent out were refurbished models which I'm guessing already had suffered the screen thing before.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    The wife and I both bought kindles over 6 months ago, they are used daily and travel everywhere with us. The only problem we've had is forgetting that they do need charging every once in a while. We bought the proper Kindle covers with the built in light which maybe why we don't get the broken screens.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    She has treated it extra careful! Amazon are really quick to replace because they know its a manufacturing fault. I'm really interested to know if the new version is suffering from the same defects.
    The replacements they sent out were refurbished models which I'm guessing already had suffered the screen thing before.

Ah - probably the cause of your problem is the refurbs then... Ours was replaced with a brand new one. From the googling I did at the time, we are not alone but I dont think it is very common - so you have been REALLY unlucky!
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Im on my 2nd wifi kindle keyboard i had the frame crack on the 1st after 2 months but had this 1 a year now with no probs and it lugs around in my backpack on bike every day.
    I think you need to keep it in a good case though they are fragile and obviously built to a price but you cant fault amazon customer service, if there s any doubt and its still in warranty they replace no argument.
    I have heard on the kindle forums of them helping out people who have damaged their kindles themselves even when out of warranty.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • I think she is gonna want another one so I think it will be the new 89 quid one. At least it will be brand new and a fresh start. Will have to get a new case I guess because the old one will be too big. Fingers crossed the luck changes!
  • Had the sane thing with the screen, on kindle number 3 in a year and a bit. touch wood this last one has been good for 6+ mounths.