1 1/8" frame, 1" fork - headset advice

LittleLance
LittleLance Posts: 89
edited January 2012 in Workshop
My headset developed an annoying click and after stripping the headset down I found the lower bearings to not be very smooth and had clearly suffered from the elements as they were corroding slightly.

Its at this point I found out that its not a 1" frame but 1 1/8 and therefore it must be a special headset which I can't seem to source anywhere. The one in the frame is condor branded (the bike is a Condor Italia Cross).

Does anyone know where I can get such a headset?

Also do you think replacing the bearings will be enough rather than the whole headset?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheels-manuf ... prod18558/

Is the most likely thing hat has been used with a standard 1" headset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the reply Nick.

I dont think those reducers have been used and my (albeit not great) lbs is sure that the bearings aren't normal 1" ones.

The bearings are marked 7 41.8OD 30.2ID 45degrees 45 degrees.
  • nicklouse
    Thanks for the reply Nick.

I dont think those reducers have been used and my (albeit not great) lbs is sure that the bearings aren't normal 1" ones.

The bearings are marked 7 41.8OD 30.2ID 45degrees 45 degrees.
    Sounds like a 1 1/8 fork then.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • sounds like it but its not!
    I have a 1 inch stem on it which fits perfectly.
  • nicklouse
    What type of headset is it? Internal or integreated? I am guessing integreated as it seems to be almost right size bearings for a campy 1" integreated headset like the FSA Orbit CF
    Which is 1" frame and fork.

Any way that is as far as I can go.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I'm using a 1 inch Cane creek S something headset on my commuting bike. I had to change the forks and when the whole hog moving to an Ahead headset. Works a treat, not integrated though so may not be what you are looking for. I've also just bought a 1 inch threaded Tange headset for a single speed project, not fitted yet, but if looks count I'm impressed.
  • Its a non integrated but you're right that the Campy bearings seem to have the same spec so I may give them a go.
    thanks for your help Nick