boardman 2010 fs pivot bearings

lloydy-gt
lloydy-gt Posts: 33
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
has anyone changed these and/or the other susspension linked bearings? I have got a lot of sideways movement/flex at the bottom of my frame (by the bb), i'm going to change the bearings and the rest of them. Just wondering if anyone done it, how difficult, any special tools and what size bearings to get. I know the bearings will probably have the codes on but it would be good if i could get the bearings before i start the job. Thanks, sean.
GT AGGRESSOR XC2 2009
BOARDMAN TEAM FS 2010
http://www.halfwayupmtb.co.uk

Comments

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Sideway flex is common with full suspension bikes, but bearing play isn't. Check first that the links are tight, and that there is play.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Yeah all bolts tight, in fact the non drive side is so tight i've sheared 2 x 5mm allen key bits 1/4" drive rachet with a tube on for leverage! Going to get 1/2" drive hex socket tommorrow. Went out thurs night with a few club members and showed them and they said theres a lot of flex to, so going to change bearings to see if that is the problem. Thanks for the quick reply
    GT AGGRESSOR XC2 2009
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS 2010
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    lloydy-gt wrote:
    Yeah all bolts tight, in fact the non drive side is so tight i've sheared 2 x 5mm allen key bits 1/4" drive rachet with a tube on for leverage! Going to get 1/2" drive hex socket tommorrow. Went out thurs night with a few club members and showed them and they said theres a lot of flex to, so going to change bearings to see if that is the problem. Thanks for the quick reply
    As I said, flex is more or less noticeable on full suspension frames. The frame will flex noticeable if you torque it up a hill on high gear. But, if you notice play, noise, clunking when you hit bumps, the bearings are no-go.

Your friends may be right, but just saying... :)
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Right then, i popped into one of my lbs's (ps cycles, abercarn) this morning after doing a loop of cwmcarn, and spoke to paul the owner, this is what he told me- undo drive side allen screw/bolt(after removing cranks!) remove bolt completely, then u got to drift/knock the other side out from the drive side and it comes out as a long tube. It works because i tried it:-) but put it all back together till i'm ready to change the bearings. A big thankyou to paul@ps cycles. I hope this post helps someone who is going to do the same job.
    GT AGGRESSOR XC2 2009
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS 2010
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    lloydy-gt wrote:
    I hope this post helps someone who is going to do the same job.

Yes thank you. I plan to do mine soon as I've had to replace every other bearing on mine already and I'm sure these need at least a clean and regrease, if not replacing.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.