105 - is it a double or a triple?

mattlittle
mattlittle Posts: 9
edited January 2012 in Workshop
I have a 105 5700 shifter that I bought from a major UK online retailer but I'm not sure if they have sent me the double that they say they have (they came "OEM" without box and in a plastic bag).

With the shifter off the bike, when operating the left shifter and simulating moving the lever as if to go from a small front ring to larger one, there are three 'major' clicks and then a tiny small click (I assume the final one is a trim).

I know that the old sora stuff I had did the same (3 clicks but no trim) but that was because there wasn't a separate shifter for double/triple.

Given that retailers advertise different 105 5700 shifters for double and triple, were this a 'proper' double, I would assume that there would be two 'major' clicks and a small click rather than 3 and a small one.

So, if you have a 105 5700 double - can you tell me how many clicks you get?

Cheers :D

Comments

• fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    mattlittle wrote:
    So, if you have a 105 5700 double - can you tell me how many clicks you get?
    Two.
  • Two plus a tiny trim click?
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    mattlittle wrote:
    Two plus a tiny trim click?
    Yes.
  • Looks like chain reaction cycles have passed off a triple as a double.

Should be fun trying to sort that out given that the shifters have been on the bike for several months and it was just my mate helping me change the ables that spotted it.
  • jim55
    jim55 Posts: 93
    yeah i get two definite clicks and a wee bit of trim adjustment ,,the last bit doesnt click just moves and holds the derailluer for a bit of trim adjistment
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    mattlittle wrote:
    Looks like chain reaction cycles have passed off a triple as a double.

Should be fun trying to sort that out given that the shifters have been on the bike for several months and it was just my mate helping me change the ables that spotted it.
    It should still work fine and it gives you the option of changing to a triple in the future.
  • So I have just re-chcecked and I get two clicks plus a trim rather than 3.

So, pressing the small lever half a dozen times to ensure that I am in the 'small chainring position' I can then operate the larger lever twice and get a definite click and then a very small click (which is trim position, I assume).

This gives me 3 positions - the start position plus two large click movements.

This seems to tally with what you guys have for double shifters but why do I need 3 positions given that it is a double?
  • Just to clear up the confusion, I've posted this video of the way that my shifter operates - can you tell me if your double operates the same?

http://youtu.be/jmUx1iL6WvQ
  • hasnt it got a serial number on it if you peel back the hoods?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Twostage
    Either way it should still work as a double. I've got a tiagra 4400 which works both double and triple. It's just a matter of adjusting the high and low stops.
  • @Cleat Eastwood - Yep it is marked 'Shimano ST-5700 Japan'. It has no other obvious marks

@Twostage - I know that is possible, but do you not have a position that you can't use? If position 1 is small chainring and position 3 is large chainring, what happens when you put it in position 2?
  • Twostage
    mattlittle wrote:
    @Cleat Eastwood - Yep it is marked 'Shimano ST-5700 Japan'. It has no other obvious marks

@Twostage - I know that is possible, but do you not have a position that you can't use? If position 1 is small chainring and position 3 is large chainring, what happens when you put it in position 2?
    Position 1 is small, position 2 is large. You don't have position 3 because you adjust the high limit to stop the chain jumping off. Anyway if its marked ST-5700 then its double, if it was triple it should say ST-5703.
  • @Two Stage - thanks for this.

If it is a double, how come I have as many positions as I demonstrate in the video?
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Your first click is to the trim position on the small ring. The next click is actually dropping in to the trim position for the big ring and the final click is the big ring position. Under load when changing you would go straight through the middle click without noticing it.
    ST5700 is definitely a double as said earlier.
  • Thanks guys - all your help is much appreciated.