Softshell outer ??

velohutts
velohutts Posts: 288
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
My current softshell outer is coming to the end of it's life sadly , a castelli which has done me proud , I am looking for a new one, any brand , which is good down to hopefully about 0 - 5 c , with a base layer + another top to take it down below if required.

I would be keen to have any recommendations , currently saving / paying for a wedding so value for money also a key factor , thoughts ??

The gravel rash from some diesel on a roundabout is now abating so out tomorrow for a trial run on the scar on hip !!
Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I have one from Shutt which I use on my commute - warm on cold mornings and pretty much waterproof
  • I like the look of this one:

Image.aspx?Width=150&Height=150&ImageUrl=http%3a%2f%2fmedia.cascade-uk.com%2fTennOutdoors%2fProductImages%2fA06250700.jpg

I've not got one, but have bought other things from Tenn which have been great.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Tenn Outdoors stuff is surprisingly okay for the price...

But the Shutt one is in the sale - my mate has it and says its great

http://www.shuttvr.com/shop/productdeta ... ll-Jacket/
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I dislike the idea of membrane windproofs*, as the breathability is usually a lot lower than ones that just rely on tightly woven fabric.

I tend to use a lightweight pertex windproof (montane featherlite velo) , and when it is cooler, a thin fleece underneath it.

It is a completely different approach to what you were asking about, but I think it is more flexible.

*and indeed waterproofs if I can bear the weight and warmth of the alternatives.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I like the look of this one:

Image.aspx?Width=150&Height=150&ImageUrl=http%3a%2f%2fmedia.cascade-uk.com%2fTennOutdoors%2fProductImages%2fA06250700.jpg

I've not got one, but have bought other things from Tenn which have been great.

I've seen that before... ah yes

d2ce9_miley_cyrus_Michael-Jackson-Thriller-Movie.jpg
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • velohutts
    thanks for the updates so far , both the tenn and the shutt jacket look good , should I stretch the cash a bit more and g to about £100 or so ? would this improve the jacket or just look better/cost more?

there is a nalini jacket at 64.99 @ planet x , anyone tried / used this ? would try and paste it onto here but likely courting with computer disaster !
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Wiggle do Sportful ones - I bought one last year and it's fantastic! Worn with just a Smelly-Handsome long sleeve base layer it's perfect for temps <5c. Much more than that and I find it too warm! Nice fit, very comfy, snug cut - my only criticism would be the rather shallow rear pockets.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    edited January 2012
    I have a Gore Oxygen and it's fantastic, I wear it down to 0 with a Merino base layer.

http://road.cc/content/review/28181-gor ... -so-jacket

However I am very jealous of my colleagues Gore Xenon.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... t-12-45518
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Oops, double post. Good chance to say you can get both of them for less than the rrp - think I paid £90 for the Oxygen.
  • Maybe outside your budget, but can find them in the sales... Gore Phantom... like the Oxygen but removable sleeves makes it usable for longer during the year.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Maybe outside your budget, but can find them in the sales... Gore Phantom... like the Oxygen but removable sleeves makes it usable for longer during the year.

It's funny but the removable sleeves is a feature I've never found useful on my Phantom. If it's cold enough for a windproof, I find I want my arms covered. My core tends to generate heat enough - it's the extremities that get cold. Be aware too that the Phantom is an MTB fit - ie baggier all over. Gore Windstopper is very good though and, chances are, there's somewhere nearby you can try a Gore jacket on for size.

I seem to remember that the Shutt jacket is made of the same material as the Assos 851 stuff (unless my memory is playing tricks). My Assos 851 Airjack is my best jacket - nice, close, fit; great breathability; good temperature range; good water resistance and warmth wet.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Tenn Outdoors stuff is surprisingly okay for the price...

But the Shutt one is in the sale - my mate has it and says its great

http://www.shuttvr.com/shop/productdeta ... ll-Jacket/

That Shutt jacket looks the business. Could use some pockets in the rear mind you.
  • It's funny but the removable sleeves is a feature I've never found useful on my Phantom. If it's cold enough for a windproof, I find I want my arms covered. My core tends to generate heat enough
    Each to their own. I find it great on breezy spring days, else my back gets cold and creaky! My arms never have that problem..
    Be aware too that the Phantom is an MTB fit - ie baggier all over.
    Strange, mine's quite tight, I have much baggier gear that isnt MTB!
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • meanredspider
    Strange, mine's quite tight, I have much baggier gear that isnt MTB!

I had a long discussion last year with one of Gore's sales managers - he was very keen on this point. Mine's certainly looser on the arms and around the middle than my road-specific stuff.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Chrissz wrote:
    Wiggle do Sportful ones - I bought one last year and it's fantastic! Worn with just a Smelly-Handsome long sleeve base layer it's perfect for temps <5c. Much more than that and I find it too warm! Nice fit, very comfy, snug cut - my only criticism would be the rather shallow rear pockets.

+1

I had a castelli that died and the Sportful replacement has been more than a match and is also a lot cheaper.
  • The Gore Contest Jacket got 5 stars in Novembers issue of Cycling+.
    This jacket is currently on sale at Winstanleys and depending on colour can be bought for £70-£80

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... inter_2011

I currently have a Gore Windstopper Softshell and use it for all 4 seasons, (yes even on a cold summers day) I find windstopper Softshell both warm and very breathable, not completely waterproof, (OK in showers but not an absoloute downpour) but I also carry a montane featherlite jacket, cause the stuff sack has a strap that goes round your saddle.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • +1 for the gore phantom
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    +1 for the gore phantom
    another +1 from me.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238

Wasn't for me, I found in order to get correct fit round the middle the arm were too long and under arms were very tight as well as along the back. Completely the wrong cut for me. That being said I found lots of jackets with similar or worse problems until I found the BBB Control shield which must be made for the larger gentleman. I had similar problems with tights, they fitted round the waist with the legs too long (only one's I've found that work for me are Polaris Vortex), and long sleeve jersey's too, long arms if waist ok, I tend to buy short sleeve and use arm warmers.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • meanredspider
    Sketchley wrote:
    made for the larger gentleman. I had similar problems with tights,.

You're just showing off now :D

The Phantom is fine - I'm just conscious of it flapping on the faster bits - something I don't get with the Airjack
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Sketchley wrote:

The Phantom is fine - I'm just conscious of it flapping on the faster bits - something I don't get with the Airjack

I think what this shows is that you've got to try them on as different jackets have different cuts.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • meanredspider
    Sketchley wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

I think what this shows is that you've got to try them on as different jackets have different cuts.

Yup - I've always thought that I had an "Assos Body" :lol::wink:

(I know which Assos body I'd like.... :wink: )
  • velohutts
    thanks for all the suggestions , the gore and the sportful were looking very promising ...... but found a castelli pazzo at £95 with removable sleeves as an extra bonus ........ at

www.jejamescycles.co.uk

couldn't resist the white and black now the wallet is going away for a while !!!!!