Steel disk mounts to weld on.

JEASTWOO
JEASTWOO Posts: 24
edited January 2012 in The workshop
Hi there commuters.

I've just started a project to make a "long tail" utility bike. Hopefully this will open http://www.bikecad.ca/1327103689328 . I have a MIG welder which I've used for past projects, (I therefore do not have the facilities to weld aluminum) so I'll be stretching a steel frame and welding it myself. I've opted to go with a set of hydraulic disks getting my bike's donor parts from a Carrera mountain bike.

Can anyone tell me of a cost effective place to buy steel disk mounts from, that I can weld on. I could fabricate them myself, but I've got quite a lot of that to do already!

Many thanks, James Eastwood

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Make them as all frames are different their is not really a standard as it all depends on the relation ship between the axel and the tubes.

It is not like they are hard to make.

Any way the FAQs in the MTB section page 3 the disc brake topic links at the bottom for the standards.

Or drill holes in a few pieces of metal attach a spare mechanical disc brake and clamp it onto a hub and position adjust the brakects to suit and weld. Job done.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    some i did earlier

img1212yd.jpg

and an other here
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12711783

img0184s.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Most disc brakes have a post-to-ISO adapter (like in pic above). Why not just put some post mounts on?
  • Nickouse - Thanks for the link to the mount standards.

Michael - Thanks, I think they have a two part mount as the post mount has slotted holes so permits some fine tuning of the caliper to the disk. However for service the caliper can be removed at the ISO mounts as these have no adjustment and guarantee the caliper goes back on in exactly the position it came off, without need for adjustment. But I've never needed to remove a caliper on one of my bikes so it might beg the question 'how useful a feature is this'?