Front wheel keeps loosening

Kerrmit1992
Kerrmit1992 Posts: 275
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there,

I seem to be having a problem with either the front wheel or the quick release on my talon 3, It keeps on loosening itself every 5 minutes or so when cycling.

I'm guessing someone will know why?

Thanks
Craig
Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like you are not doing it correctly?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I think i'm doing it correctly ... I never had any issues before :O
    Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!
  • nicklouse
    So talk me through what you are doing or have a look in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • I just put the wheel on after taking it out the car, when the quick release is open i tighten up the opposite side and the lock it with the level pointing up the way?
  • nicklouse
    You must either be not adding enough tension or you are not pushing the lever over enough.

What Qr is it?
  • So do i want it as tight as possible? ... I was trying not to do it too tight incase it increased the resistance on the wheel.

I'm not sure, They came with the bike
  • nicklouse
    So do i want it as tight as possible? ... I was trying not to do it too tight incase it increased the resistance on the wheel.

I'm not sure, They came with the bike
    There sould be no effect on the wheel.

If there is you need to adjust/tighten the locknuts and cones. How tos on both Parktools and Sheldons pages.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tight enough to leave an imprint in your palm.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    I always have a problem with this after i've put a wheel on for the first ride. Despite setting it tight at home, it seems to stretch a bit during my first ride necessitating a quick retighten. After that it's completely fine until i remove the wheel again (days or months later). Never had one that keeps loosening every five minutes though.

Only time i experienced anything like that was with a Shimano Deore cup and cone hub on my rear wheel (use hope pro's these days). Unbeknownst to me, the axle had shifted a little to one side after several retightenings of the outer nuts (regreasing and maintenance of the bearings). This meant that there was only a tiny amount of axle thread sticking out of one side of the wheel to go into the slots on the frame. Not enough apparently, as the only thing keeping the wheel on was the quick release skewer. Any kind of humping up a hill was slowly pulling the skewers loose. So check to see if you have a lot of axle sticking out of one side of the wheel and very little out of the other......
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    I bought new wheels and skewers once and one of them just kept coming loose. In the end I got a different skewer and gave the old one away. The person I gave it to then had the same problem as me (different wheel and frame).

I guess if you're sure you are doing it right then it is possible that you've got a duff one and may need to change it.