disk size whats standard

daftlad22
daftlad22 Posts: 46
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys just about to swap to disks from Vs, my gt frame does have the option so what do i have to get ?,whats the common or standard rotor size im looking at 203mm and 180 mm as being about wright will any caliper work with them or do i have to use a bracket to match up whatever i get ?
Vague i know but ive allways ran Vs as Im an old school guy just gettin back to it
Cheers Phil.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Have a read of the topic in the FAQs.
    I would go 180 and160.

are your wheels disc read?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • New Wheels will be found , i did look in FAQs but didnt find the answers i wanted
    Phil.
  • nicklouse
    viewtopic.php?f=40043&t=1590919

As to what size you use, depends on what you buy. As some caliper makers do things differently.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Cheers for the link i have sussed i have IS mounts so if i buy a kit that has the calipers and rotors in they should just bolt straight on my only concirn is will they line up with the rotors once fitted to the frame
    Phil
  • nicklouse
    daftlad22 wrote:
    Cheers for the link i have sussed i have IS mounts so if i buy a kit that has the calipers and rotors in they should just bolt straight on my only concirn is will they line up with the rotors once fitted to the frame
    Phil
    If it is a standard bike why would it not?

But like I said 180/160. Some bike have issues with lager disc and some fork are not warrented for bigger.

Also for the average person 180/160 does for the average bike and average riding.

But as I have no idea about the bike/fork brakes etc I can not say more.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Simple option is to buy a complete set. Avid stuff for example come complete. Rotors, brake assembly, IS and sometimes a Post mount in the box too.

Then all you'd need to know is what mount have you got front and back (you say IS) and what size that mount is both front and back (probably 160 but you'll need to check, they might differ).

Say for example you have IS 160 mounts front and back and you want to get 180 front and 160 back, just buy 180 front and 160 rear brake kits and for the front you will probably need an adapter to convert 160 to 180 mounts.

You also need to check if the fork will cope with the forces a 180 generates, though I suspect it will. 203 is another matter.

Wheels - check the hubs. Are they disc hubs, and do they take centrelock or standard 6 bolt? That affects what rotor. If it's a new wheel you're getting, in my opinion stick to 6 bolt. Centerlock locks you in to Shimano's system and limits your choices, though you can get adapters. Requires an extra tool also. Just my opinion. Some will swear by them because they're Shimano ;) (and yeah, I know others do the centerlock but it's driven by them and I don't see the point).
  • Hi ive now got some Mavic D321s that will take 6 bolt rotors now im researcing hydraulic brakes but im not to impressed with the fact that without spending a fortune they are a pain to keep bled and pad wear is also a good in concern , are cable calipers as good in performance as hydraulic and both my mounts are IS so i will get an adapter to take 180 on the front when i make up my mind on caliper choice
    Phil
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No need to worry. Hydro everytime.

Superstar pads cost £23 quid for 4 sets. No a lot really £6 a pop.
  • Ok lookin at 2nd hand for now about £70 to spend ........... any ideas ?
  • nicklouse
    daftlad22 wrote:
    Hi ive now got some Mavic D321s that will take 6 bolt rotors now im researcing hydraulic brakes but im not to impressed with the fact that without spending a fortune they are a pain to keep bled and pad wear is also a good in concern , are cable calipers as good in performance as hydraulic and both my mounts are IS so i will get an adapter to take 180 on the front when i make up my mind on caliper choice
    Phil
    D321 are a big old DH rim. Will need a big tyre which will not ride that easily.

Hydros every time. Most of the trouble you read about is people not reading the manual and playing around with then every 30 seconds. Fit set up use. Replace pads as needed. Always have a spare set of pads ( and required tools) in your back pack.
  • nicklouse
    daftlad22 wrote:
    Ok lookin at 2nd hand for now about £70 to spend ........... any ideas ?
    Nope. Find some and ask about what you find.
  • Avid juicy 5
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    When he says find - a link would be best! Then we can guide you on price.
  • nicklouse
    daftlad22 wrote:
    Avid juicy 5
    There is better. They work make sure they come will all the parts. Also be aware hose lengths may not be correct as different frames/ bars etc require different lengths.

A bleed kit will be needed if the hoses need replacing.

Which will put you in new brake area.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    daftlad22 wrote:
    Hi ive now got some Mavic D321s that will take 6 bolt rotors now im researcing hydraulic brakes but im not to impressed with the fact that without spending a fortune they are a pain to keep bled and pad wear is also a good in concern , are cable calipers as good in performance as hydraulic and both my mounts are IS so i will get an adapter to take 180 on the front when i make up my mind on caliper choice
    Phil
    D321 are a big old DH rim. Will need a big tyre which will not ride that easily.

Hydros every time. Most of the trouble you read about is people not reading the manual and playing around with then every 30 seconds. Fit set up use. Replace pads as needed. Always have a spare set of pads ( and required tools) in your back pack.

I searched and found that they are a strong rim and will take punishment , tyre wise it will be 1.95s that im on at the mo
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270895293019? ... 1423.l2649
    Or these as reviews say pretty basic but ok for price
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    daftlad22 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    daftlad22 wrote:
    Phil

I searched and found that they are a strong rim and will take punishment , tyre wise it will be 1.95s that im on at the mo

1.95's are probably a bit skinny for those rims. 2.35 upwards will probably fit better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    daftlad22 wrote:
    Don't bother.
    And get some other wheels as you may find clearance issues. But with the current ifo I have no idea.

Also for buying advice please use the buying section.
  • Most of the old reviews state one pitfall as a DH rim is you cant get a big tyre on em 1.95-2.1 max
    ill keep em and suck it an see then, to much conflicting info ,but thats what you get for doing searches i find
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190630463217? ... 1423.l2649
    Looked at the reviews for Hopes and these seem to get good reviews
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As Nick said, this is now buying advice, you'll get a better responce in that Forum.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.