Chainguide woes.

poltheball
poltheball Posts: 307
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I've just gone 1x9 and fitted a chainguide. Is the top guide meant to touch the chain at all? From the instruction manual i apparently have it in the right place, but it seems to rub a lot on the chain, makes a racket and makes pedalling more of an effort. I doubt it's meant to be like this.. it also doesn't seem to leave enough room to shift to the highest and lowest sprockets at the rear. If it's any help, it's a sunline v1 guide, looks the same as most others on the market to me tho.

Any help is much appreciated, first ride in three months and two days due to broken elbow tomorrow, so it has to be a good un..

Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Some may rub a bit in the 1 and 9th rear cog.

But without pics it is hard to say what is wrong with your set up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Moving the guide closer to the point where the chain reaches the chainwheel will reduce the side to side movement due to shifting.

My commuter had no rub when using a burly Saint chainwheel, now I've swapped to something lighter and thinner I get rub as the chainwheel distorts and moves sideways due to the chain load.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Well the chainguide is the "max 37t" version, and i'm running a 36t chainwheel.

Having followed all instructions it just seems to rub, and the chain is at a pretty crazy angle when in the largest sprocket at the back. I'll try moving the top guide closer in, but if that doesn't solve it (it's pretty close already) i'll post pictures.

Cheers.