Cutting Carbon Steerer - wedge/expander removal - Scott CR1

fishern
fishern Posts: 5
edited February 2013 in Workshop
Hi all,

I need to cut down the carbon steerer on my Scott CR1 PRO but am stuck! The wedge/expander is a two piece ally unit with the top half simply unscrewing out of the bottom half. The bottom half does not have any obvious way of pulling out. I'm not going to smash it down as some people have suggested! I need to remove it as it has obviously expanded the tube enough to prevent pulling off the spacers so I can't even get the fork off the bike at the moment. It does have some machined features down the sides at 12, 3 and 6 o'clock, if you know what I mean, so perhaps there is a specific tool to turn it out? Bit of a ball ache though if I have to go find someone with one of those.

Pic attached of the lower half of the wedge/expander.

Any suggestions welcome!

Comments

• nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Unfortunately I can't see your attached image? Have you checked if the expander doesn't have a (possibly 6mm) allen key head in it, in the same place the top half screws into? This is the case with most I have come across. Unscrewing this drops the wedge downward and 'unexpands' (what's the correct term?) the plug.
  • No there is no hex form in it for an allen key, just a female thread that the top half screws down into. I've seen the type you refer to and this is quite different. Like I said though there is 3 machined 'cut-outs' around the edge of the wedge which makes me think it can be rotated but needs a special tool, which to me seems a bit odd given all other wedges can be adjusted with a good old allen key!

Update - I have the fork off the bike now just needed to use a little more brute force to get the spacers off....but the wedge/expander is still stuck fast.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It's will be a hit the centre out cheap one.

Put pics are a must to confirm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mann2
    mann2 Posts: 12
    any updates on this? :)