lee quarry??? trails

stanny_uk
stanny_uk Posts: 147
edited January 2012 in Routes
anyone ride at lee quarry got to go up to manchester in couple of weeks to drop mrs at baby shower!! so had a look around for trails while up there... lee quarry looks quite cool for couple of hours doss about?? any tips, comments?? hows it hold up in winter i see from you tube its rocky!!

Comments

• Plenty to play about on and session, the first climb is a bit of a killer though if you do the whole route over and over again and don't play around on any of the skills area or pump track.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Lee quarry is a great place to "doss" about for a couple of hours, nice and technical but as difficult as you want to make it depending on how fast you want to ride. It gets pretty windy up there and it is really open to the elements, make sure you have some wet weather gear and another layer in your bag, after all your in the pennines on top of a hill! There is yet another review of it in this months MBUK, always gets slated for lack of facilities but at the end of the day it doesn't bother most people !

Have fun!! :D
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    And of course there's Cragg quarry as well, easy to lose a full day between the two sites. Facilities are a little sparse in the valley bottom (being worked on) but you've got Bacup two minutes away and Poppoes Deli Cafe opposite, it' not like Gisburn where you're in the middle of nowhere (D & P not withstanding).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    as mentioned you can loose yourself in the quarry for a few hours or several hours. it's geared up to do a full loop (not very long at just over 8k) or you can session it in sections. it holds up quite well in wet weather.
    but as mentioned it's the wind thats the killer up there, and it's windy up there 360 days of the year..
    there is some good fun and technical riding up there.. yeah the first climb out of the car park is a killer but at least after a few hours when your spent it's a downhill cruz back to the car...

if it aint blowing a gale you can link up with cragg quarry, on a decent day cragg is good it's got so much flow. (but it has to be a carm day with little or no wind to enjoy it)
    the climb up the bridal way is a killer and seem to take for ever, but again it's a fun funky fast descent back into leequarry...
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    When are you heading up? as all the above mention its as good or bad as you make it, like delcol says its short but if you hit it fast and hard that 8k feels like 30!

Loads of sections to play on drops, jumps, techy climbs bit of everthing really.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • stanny_uk
    stanny_uk Posts: 147
    going week sat 11th
  • 1mancity2
    stanny_uk wrote:
    going week sat 11th

bummer! doing a course up gisburn otherwise would have come across and shown you round.
  • delcol
    there's every chance we would be up lee quarry we are most weekend. if we are (will let you know for defs nearer the time) we will point you in the right direction.
  • Depending on the weather i'll be playing up there on Sunday for a first ride on the new bike, which means a run then fettle, then another run then fettle, then another run and yet another fettle. Might push up the link road (don't think it'll pedal uphill) and see what kind of speed i can get out the bugger :D
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • delcol wrote:
    what new bike you got.

Should be picking up a Scott Voltage FR20 on saturday, need to ring them in the morning to confirm. That'll leave me with the Meta for everyday trail shredding and the Voltage for DH fun. It's gonna be a fun summer :D
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • 1mancity2
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    delcol wrote:
    what new bike you got.

Should be picking up a Scott Voltage FR20 on saturday, need to ring them in the morning to confirm. That'll leave me with the Meta for everyday trail shredding and the Voltage for DH fun. It's gonna be a fun summer :D

Nice bike, I fancy one of them.
  • 1mancity2 wrote:
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    delcol wrote:
    what new bike you got.

Nice bike, I fancy one of them.

The Voltage 20 is brilliant value for money although the fork is a little on the heavy side (Boxxers next) and could do with a little more beef on the braking side (Poss Hope M4's) . Been getting more and more into DH so need a big hitter of a rig, got trips planned trips to Inners, Cwmcarn etc etc in the next few months with a plan to ride FT Bill later in the year then hitting the alps next year.
  • delcol
    nice bike. which year is it 2012

my good friends at bearbackbiking in whistler are sponsered by scott and ride these.. they a awesome bike.
  • dhutch
    dhutch Posts: 343
    Only been there once, but its on the girlfreind front door so hoping to go a lot more, certainly windy however, i got quite cold!

I thought 'quarry' and thought we would be in a hole in the ground, but the hole is up the top of a hill, and your often you riding round the top of it to boot.

As said however, good run, with plenty to session as well as a bit of a loop, skills area, pumptrack.

Daniel
  • delcol wrote:
    nice bike. which year is it 2012

my good friends at bearbackbiking in whistler are sponsered by scott and ride these.. they a awesome bike.

Gone for a 2011 as it's exactly the same bike just a different colour scheme

Was told that they run these as hire bikes at Champrey and Morzine too so they can obviously stand up to the rough stuff, like the ajustable geometry so you can fit a shorter rear shock for slopestyle riding although i'm not crazy enough to try that yet :? Would love to ride Whistler one day but it's not exactly the cheapest place in the world to get to, mentioned it to my mum and she sugested staying with family in Toronto only 3500km drive away from Whistler :lol:
  • delcol
    lol not that far only take you nearly a week...

can be pricey i get a really good discount off bearback as i been going for 4 year twice a year.. cost us about £1500 for 3 weeks when we last went in sept 11.

i seen a few of the 2010 voltage freerides crack in whistler i know bearback had a few crack and a few locals cracked them (seem to go on the headtube)
    the 2011 ones i didnt hear of any of those cracking so scott must of addressed the problem..
    they cant be that bad if the coastal crew ride them,, and look what them guys ride, if you seen from the inside out,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIPDn25xGQU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDHhqyLLtCI

look really smart with their custom graphics.