Getting into this XC lark

free
free Posts: 567
edited January 2012 in MTB beginners
So, I'm from a DH background predominantly and spend much of my time off the DH bike at trail centres.

Whilst I love DH I'm now looking for a more physical whilst still a technical challenge and would really like to get into XC competition. I've never even attended a XC event let alone entered so I just wanted a bit of 'getting started' info really.

Where do I start? Is it much like DH with an enter and turn up set-up or is it a little more involved. I'm undecided on bike choice. At the minute I only have heavy duty DH rigs or Burly Trail Bikes. As I don't have a hard tail in my collection I think a hard tail would be a good move but would I be at a disadvantage? Has XC competition turn to full bouncers too?

Genrerally I'm just looking for a bit of guidance on where to start with this sort of competition in terms of entering, bike and bike set-up and kit.
Any help appreciated.

Cheers folks.
Think first.
Then act.
That\'s it.
My 3 point plan.
A.partridge. 1997.

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I would say get a decent full susser, most are light and can be locked out these days but theyre good enough to make up any lost time on technical descents.

Interesting to see a downhiller turn to XC, that's the first time i've ever seen that!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Would probably make sense to go to a race and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    XC Racer is where you'll get all the info you need from full on race pace to more relaxed events but really good organisers just google xcracer all there
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    It's a case of who has the tightest lycra and smoothest legs...

Or the richest parents.....
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • free
    I would say get a decent full susser, most are light and can be locked out these days but theyre good enough to make up any lost time on technical descents.

Interesting to see a downhiller turn to XC, that's the first time i've ever seen that!

Well, I'm not abandoning DH but the physical challenge of XC appeals.
    Think first.
    Then act.
    That\'s it.
    My 3 point plan.
    A.partridge. 1997.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Just pitch up and go. And don't worry about your bike, unless you're planning to be competitive anyway. Sticking speedy tyres on your normal trailbike will let you have a stab at it and see how you like it. XC events seem to vary a lot though, some really are just slogs round muddy fields,pure fitness challenge with the only tech element coming when the course disintegrates. But others can have a really nice balance. Worth asking around to see what people's experiences of the events are.

Obvious other option would be enduro racing, as a halfway house between XC and downhill...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you want a challenge how about the Chain Reaction Marathons they have various distances from 25km to 100km. They are very well organised cover lovely country and no one cares what your riding or wearing. Theres a free campsite, showers, food and trade stalls and usually a beer tent for the less dedicated. Your burly trail bike (whatever that is) will do fine for a first attempt. http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    It's pretty much the same as a DH race, turn up, sign on or enter on the day, practice the course and get to the start on time.
    I found riding XC made a nice change from riding downhill, mixes everything up.
  • dan man
    dan man Posts: 68
    the technical side of things will be a walk inthe park for you. :D get a road bike get fit and get out there and race, if you can get into desent shape you will have grate fun raceing :D
  • Northwind
    You're assuming dh guys aren't fit?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dan man
    in genearl amatures not as fit as xc riders
  • Northwind
    Not as fit as XC racers, or general XC riders? Because every downhiller I know can pull the legs off your average XC rider when they set their minds to it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dan man
    racers.ya they probably would for a half a lap on a good day .after that they would be found out.
  • The type of riding you do is completely irrelevant to your fitness level, your training is what matters.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Or the richest parents.....

Cheaper than DH innit!
    XC events seem to vary a lot though, some really are just slogs round muddy fields,pure fitness challenge with the only tech element coming when the course disintegrates

Depends what you define as 'XC' IMO - it tends to be a catch-all term for endurance events, marathons etc, as well as 'proper' lap based XC (as the UCI define it). I've only ever done one XC race that was literally riding around fields; a Dragon XC in Wales in 2007, it was utter toss, otherwise they've all been good. Marathons and endurance events can be much worse for this, mainly because of their popularity. Mayhem and SiTS, whilst great events, do not offer particularly good courses.

Don't follow XC then? There's plenty of good DH racers now doing XC, most notably Ed Moseley and Lewis King, both of whom were excellent Elite DH racers back in the day are now racing Masters and Vets XC respectively. Tracey Moseley's done a few too in the last couple of years.

I'd generally echo Northwind - don't get too bogged down in it, your first race will almost certainly be a learning experience. Your fitness may be fine, it may be lacking, depends what you do. If you enter 'Open' they're often only an hour long. Elite races are generally 2 hours, and that's a massive difference. Find a local race, pitch up, have a go, see what happens. Try and get a good start, the first piece of singletrack will be a comedy bottleneck (particularly in the lower categories) and you'll do well to avoid that!

Edit: and on the bike ride your trail bike the first time, see how you get on. It's personal at the end of the day. 29ers are big for 2012, as are lightweight FS (my personal choice), depends on how much money you want to throw at it. You can have a very nice, light, raceable carbon hardtail for £1200 or so, whereas I'd probably look to spend at least double that on a racey FS bike myself.
  • free
    Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm definitely going to give it a go. I've actually just purchased a new Spesh Camber Expert which is incredibly light with 120mm all round. My first ride on it yesterday indicates it would be ideal for XC so I'm going to enter with that and see how I get on.

I've got to work on my stamina no question. Like most downhillers I have good explosive energy and strength but pacing myself and my energy levels will be a whole new challenge.

The CRC Marathons look quite good to get in some slightly competitive long rides so might enter a couple of those too.
    Think first.
    Then act.
    That\'s it.
    My 3 point plan.
    A.partridge. 1997.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've actually just purchased a new Spesh Camber Expert which is incredibly light

Not in XC race terms it's not ;-)

Cracking bike though, so yes, give it a punt on that.

Marathons and endurance events and what not are generally far less competitive - the standard is generally lower than an XC race. Not a bad thing - just different!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    free wrote:
    Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm definitely going to give it a go. I've actually just purchased a new Spesh Camber Expert which is incredibly light with 120mm all round. My first ride on it yesterday indicates it would be ideal for XC so I'm going to enter with that and see how I get on.

I've got to work on my stamina no question. Like most downhillers I have good explosive energy and strength but pacing myself and my energy levels will be a whole new challenge.

The CRC Marathons look quite good to get in some slightly competitive long rides so might enter a couple of those too.

Your Camber is the ideal bike for CRC marathons get your entry in for at least one this year if you can they are really freindly and its amazing how far you can ride when you have a marked course and feeding stations.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap