I need a bike rack!

cashy16
cashy16 Posts: 83
edited January 2012 in MTB general
Hi im looking at buying a bike rack that holds two bikes.

I have a vw bora that will be mainly used to transport the bikes around to the trails.

I have looked in halfords today at there strap on advanced boot lid version for 99 pounds and then looked at the idea of roof rails and roof mounted carriers.

Although I do have a tow bar in th egarage for the bora I could fit and then opt for a tow bar mounted carrier.

What do you think would be the best option?

Any help appreciated, I hope this is in the right category!!!

Ade :D

Comments

• davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Towbar for me. I have a Thule 9403 that I bought off the classifieds on here for £60, does the job perfectly.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    BTW, a mate has the Halfords rack you describe and I actively avoid travelling with him as it lets the bikes rub together in transit. Another mate has a Saris Bones which does a good job of seperating the bikes and is IMO the best strap-on rack available.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    No need to SHOUT and use he towbar with a rack from Thule.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cashy16
    cashy16 Posts: 83
    Cheers it appears the towbar rack it the one of choice :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Towbar definitely the preferred option.

Myself I can't be bothered and am also concious about visibly displaying expensive bikes on the back of the car. Feels safer with them in the car though makes for a muddy car. Also don't like tow bars sticking out the back when there's nothing on them.
  • The Halfords advanced rack is shite! I bought it, opened the box, then took it back. Too much plastic for my liking.

I ended up with a Pendle strap on (oo-er) rack, far better quality..
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The strap ons (oo-er indeed) you need to check if it will work with your car. The old one I've got won't fit my Civic because of the glass rear. Took ages to fiddle about with it anyway on the previous car. Easier to open boot, chuck bike in, close and drive.