Poll: How many of you change your tyres for the conditions?

2»

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Yeah, as Northwind says, second hand tyres can be a bargain if you eye up the pictures carefully and review the tread. My Swampie was a seconds and I should keep an eye out for another if I'm entering more local events.

I used to recommend highrollers for everything, and for the price they can't be beat. But since getting a Chili compound Rubber Queen (which i've heard is discontinued and is now the new tread on the Mountain King?), I'm completely sold. Grippiest all rounder for British conditions I've ever used but at a price...
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I have a mountain of tyres to cover most conditions on my 29ers
    Kenda Karma's 2.2's for hardpack or shallow mud,
    Mountain king 2.4's for mud or loose rooty areas
    Maxxis Crossmark 2.2 for fast rolling dry trails, hopeless in the mud
    Race Kings 2.0 for dry fast conditions, no good in deep dusty conditions though
    Bonty 29-3's (basically small block 8's) which i love, wish i had the balls to use them everywhere. Dry only and dont use them on fire road if theres a corner, can you say washout?
    Stans "The Crow" god knows what conditions this is for, i bought one on a whim, Its bloody light but thats because its bald and is as thin as a road bike tyre.
    TR02NTCR01.jpg
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bluechair84
    I think it's for leaving a tread pattern on the ground which makes people go 'wtf is that tyre for?'
  • VWsurfbum
    its nice pretty flowers Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Its an ideal race tyre, if the contition of the track doesnt change, its perfectly flat and smooth, almost like tarmac :roll:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Stans "The Crow" god knows what conditions this is for, i bought one on a whim, Its bloody light but thats because its bald and is as thin as a road bike tyre.

I like the way the tread pattern is a 4-leaf clover, for luck. You're going to need it! Is it not more or less for dry, unchanging condition long distance racing, like Leadville and the likes?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • VWsurfbum
    Northwind wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

I like the way the tread pattern is a 4-leaf clover, for luck. You're going to need it! Is it not more or less for dry, unchanging condition long distance racing, like Leadville and the likes?
    Its 4 leaf clover for luck as in if you have it on and fancying cornering, you'll need all the luck you can get!

Its also made of clingfilm, i know 29er tyres are flimsy anyway, but this tyre is possibly the most frustrating tyre ever to put on! i dread to think if it ever met a rock how it would hold up!
    Have i mentioned how much these things cost Mental
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Taken from the link just posted -
    • Intended for low pressure use, 20-40 PSI maximum

This low pressure gives you such traction that tread is almost not needed. Tall knobs on other tyres create wind drag and rolling resistance slowing the rider down. The Crow tyre will spin much faster due to the low tread height. Making it one of the fastest spinning tyres on the market

Seriously?
  • bluechair84
    As said above, the trail would have to be dry, smooth and have great texture for it to grip (just like tarmac), even with 20psi in! I bet it's a great drift tyre mind...
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Three sets of tyres -

Schwalbe Dirty Dans for deeeeep mud because they were cheap.
    Continental X-King front Race King rear for anything that's relatively solid. Both in RS flavour. Because they were cheap.
    Schwalbe Rocket Rons for anything in between. In fact I have these on the bike for about 9 months of the year. And they were cheap.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • VWsurfbum
    Spong, your making yourself sound cheap LOL
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Too lazy for that, as long as the tire doesn't feel below 30ish psi its all good!
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Redhog14 wrote:
    I change tyres like Jordan does men...

have tried the following combos..

Winter 10- Front Bont Mud X 2.2 Rear Spesh high roller 2.0 - not good
    Winter snow 10/11- Front Bont Mud X 2.2 rear Panracer 1.8 - awesome - ran this some of the summer too mainly for comedy value but the kick back from the small tyre became too much!
    Summer 11 - Front Hutchinson Python 2.2 rear Spesh high roller - use this on Manx E2E and it was good.
    Winter 11/12 - Bont Mud x 2.2 front and rear - much better
    Ran the Bont Mud X on a couple of trail center days and found it really poor the front seemed to juggle about in corners.

For where I am in Central Scotland I had a demo on Maxxis Aspens which were Sheeeittte all the hills round here (Ochils) have lots of water underneath so at some point, usually just at the bottom of a hill when you are starting to brake you just start aquaplaning, which is nice!

Just tried out Maxxis High rollers 2.35 actually very good.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I change with the seasons not the conditions. At around november i put on swampthings and they don't come off until about april regardless of the conditions, then in summer i've got 2 spesh sworks tyres that go on and again, stay on regardless of the conditions.

It's so changeable here that swapping tyres out regularly would quickly become a pain.