Skills Courses

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon all

One of my objectives this year is to do my bike justice and learn to ride it properly. Whilst i can ride Red and Black stuff with relative competence, im well aware that there are areas I could improve, so am planning doing some skills courses.

Am thinking that the "Skills and Thrills" course at Cannock would be a good starter. Has anyone else here done this course ? what did you think ?

Are there any others that people can recommend in my area (North West) ?

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Ed Oxley at Gisburn Forest is very highly spoken of on here.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    andymc06 wrote:
    Ed Oxley at Gisburn Forest is very highly spoken of on here.

Done the flow course with Ed and doing the advanced jumps course in 3 weeks with him and Nigel Page, worth every penny.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    reckon I should go with Ed Oxley over Chase Skills ?

had a look on his site this afternoon and he seems to have a better selection of courses
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Another vote for Ed here, done 2 courses already with him and got another booked in feb. It can get a bit addictive, because assuming it goes well, you learn a lot and just want to keep going further :lol:

Definately worth it tho.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I did a one-to-one with the Bike School at Cannock - to be fair, they can engineer a session to suit whatever you want. One of the guys is very DH/freeride orientated.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    jedi is your man... seek him at the dagobah system.. or his work place of

http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk/

watch the videos this guy is a shrelper.....
  • 1mancity2
    DCR00 wrote:

had a look on his site this afternoon and he seems to have a better selection of courses

Depends what your after, Ed is very good at getting you flowing around a trail, very patient and easy to understand, spends a lot of time getting the basics nailed.

Jedi also looks good but can't comment as never had a lesson with him.

Got a Jumps course in a few weeks with Ed so will report back after that, if im still alive!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    delcol wrote:

Another vote for Jedi - my riding has REALLY come on since I saw him, more than I ever expected it to, to be honest!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    +1 for Ed if you're looking at Northwest.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    miss notax wrote:
    delcol wrote:

Another vote for Jedi - my riding has REALLY come on since I saw him, more than I ever expected it to, to be honest!

missnotax, why thank you :)
  • 1mancity2 wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:

Depends what your after, Ed is very good at getting you flowing around a trail, very patient and easy to understand, spends a lot of time getting the basics nailed.

Jedi also looks good but can't comment as never had a lesson with him.

Got a Jumps course in a few weeks with Ed so will report back after that, if im still alive!

Never spoken to the bloke but that beard just draws you in, nearly crashed at Gisburn when he was pushing back up the berm section near Cocklet Hill once i made eye contact with the beard i didn't even look at the approaching berm and nearly spilled over the top :oops:
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    Never spoken to the bloke but that beard just draws you in, nearly crashed at Gisburn when he was pushing back up the berm section near Cocklet Hill once i made eye contact with the beard i didn't even look at the approaching berm and nearly spilled over the top :oops:

T'is impressive isn't it :)

Ali, reckon we should not shave now until we go on the course, probably left it a little late tho..
  • 1mancity2
    DodgeT wrote:
    Muttly1981 wrote:

T'is impressive isn't it :)

Ali, reckon we should not shave now until we go on the course, probably left it a little late tho..

Probably too late so im gonna buy one of his t-shirts instead.