I'm after a new rear mech

t0pc4t
t0pc4t Posts: 947
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
And I'm a bit dense, is there an easy why to discern what cage length I need / whether I need a shadow or not?

It's for my Anthem X4 which still has the standard SLX rear mech at the moment
Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You have shadow atm - all SLX are shadow. Buy like for like cage wise if you're not changing anything
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but if you want to see why there are different cage length have a look in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    thanks chaps, shadow long cage it is then, very much appreciated.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Rose bikes have some excellent deals on rear mechs
  • MarkDon
    MarkDon Posts: 200
    Is the main difference between the Shimano Mech's the weight? I have a deore on my 09 kona blast, thinking of replacing the chain & cassette, but thought i might change the mech aswell if its going to make a difference?

Changing cassette & chain due to chain failure, chain looks worn & cassette teeth look worn.
    2009 Kona Blast Deluxe - W.I.P Started...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12693279
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Measure the chain properly. If it's slightly worn, replace chain, heavily worn, replace chain and cassette.

No need to mess with the mech unless it's bugging you, e.g. not shifting well etc - *after having it indexed properly!*, or is damaged. Weight is going to make zero difference unless you really are a weight weenie and find the weight of your lycra affects your performance ;)

Only thing you might find with the mech is if cassette is worn, the jockeys on the mech may be worn. Generally the bottom jockey starts to look like a throwing star. Simple fix, buy replacement jockeys.