Sportive Group Choice

welkman
welkman Posts: 396
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
I am going to do a local sportive in a couple of weeks (60 miles) and wanted to know if it is best to be conservative with my group selection or not. I did a windy 100km the other day for the first time solo and averaged about 16.8 mph, I was really trying to pace myself for the distance, not beasting any climbs etc.

The choices for this sportive are 15mph, 17mph or 19mph and I am stuck between the 15mph and 19mph groups.

How does it work? If you are too slow do you drop off the back of the group and then pick up the other riders? Do you have to stick with the group you signed up to? Is it ok to just ride with some guys, or girls, that seem to fit your pace and strike up conversation? Last time I did a ride like this I kept taking turns at the front of the group and then riding away from them.

Any advice welcome :D

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Group choice? Don't you just go at whatever speed you like? If you seem to be riding at the same pace as others and can marshall yourselves into a pelaton then great. The sportives I've done work like this anyway.
  • welkman
    No you have to go with a group. I think I will see what my pace is like tomorrow on a longish ride and round it up or down accordingly.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    If you averaged 16.8 on your own, go with the 19mph group. It's much easier and energy efficient to ride in a group where you spend a short time at the front putting the effort in and a longer spell amongst the pack.

If the quick group is too hard, it should be possible to drop off and wait for a slower group to jump onto.

It should be fine to partner up with others as it sounds like you do your bit at the front.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Beat me to it; and in the end if you can't keep up you can't keep up. What do they do? Beat you into submission and force you to ride at their pace? It's easier to drop back if it's too fast than to bridge the gap to the next group if you've underestimated your own abilities.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    If you can manage 16.8 solo, while pacing yourself, then the faster group should be fine surely? I always ride faster with others than on my own, and its less effort...

I've not been to a sportive where you've been forced to ride in a group like that. Its not very practical unless you're very close in ability to the other riders and thats unlikely. People climb at different rates, and you can't give them a tow up the hill if they're slower than you the way you could if they were just struggling on the flat. So if these groups *are* going to be enforced, expect lots of waiting around...

Are you absolutely certain they aren't just asking you to estimate your speed round the course to make sure everyone leaves with enough time to get back at a sensible time?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    notsoblue wrote:
    If you can manage 16.8 solo, while pacing yourself, then the faster group should be fine surely? I always ride faster with others than on my own, and its less effort...

I've not been to a sportive where you've been forced to ride in a group like that. Its not very practical unless you're very close in ability to the other riders and thats unlikely. People climb at different rates, and you can't give them a tow up the hill if they're slower than you the way you could if they were just struggling on the flat. So if these groups *are* going to be enforced, expect lots of waiting around...

Are you absolutely certain they aren't just asking you to estimate your speed round the course to make sure everyone leaves with enough time to get back at a sensible time?

+1 - Sounds like a very strange idea.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    notsoblue wrote:
    Or possibly setting the 19mph group off first so that they don't spend the day passing others. Trying to ensure a nicely spaced ride rather than finishing in a clump
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • welkman
    This is the only info:

60 Mile - 15mph group 9:00am, 17mph 9:15am, 19mph 9:30am

This does seem to mean that the fast group are going to rip past the slow groups, so I could go with the medium group and then pick up the fast group.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    welkman wrote:
    This is the only info:

This does seem to mean that the fast group are going to rip past the slow groups, so I could go with the medium group and then pick up the fast group.

This doesn't mean you are expected to ride in a "group." People will fragment quickly. especially on climbs. Go at whatever pace feels good, latch on to a bunch if it feels comfy, drop out if it doesn't.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Go off with the 15mph group but ride like the 19mph group and you'll win easily.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    welkman wrote:
    This is the only info:

This doesn't mean you are expected to ride in a "group." People will fragment quickly. especially on climbs. Go at whatever pace feels good, latch on to a bunch if it feels comfy, drop out if it doesn't.

Yeah. 15 minutes over 60 miles is nothing really. This all sounds a little arbitrary. As dhope says, it would have made more sense for them to let the fast group out first. If I were you I'd just choose the 15mph group starting at 9:00, then you're more likely to end up riding with a group around you ability because everyone else will be passing you rather than already ahead.
  • welkman
    Sportives are not races Asprillia...... he says whilst looking up information on recovery drinks and core strength training. To be honest i'm hoping to see if i'm up to the speed of some of the club riders and then I may grow a pair and have a go at the local club run :shock: Had a peek at their forum and they seem to like trying to kill each other on 'social club rides'.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    New plan, start with slow group - if bored, jump onto middle group when they pass - if still bored jump onto quick group.

Either that or go with the slow group and just TT the course, you'll then be able to tuck into all the goodies at the finish well before anyone else can get in there!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Go off with the 15mph group but ride like the 19mph group and you'll win easily.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    welkman wrote:
    Sportives are not races Asprillia......

No, you are quite right. I no way are they competitive in any shape or form; just like riding to work isn't competitive.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX