Wheels for Tricross

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Thinking of upgrading the standard Tricross wheels, and as a few on here have the same bike, wonder what the recomendations are. Going to be using more as a road bike this year, some touring a few sportives and some climbs in th Pyranees and Alps. So something light, yet durable for a long day in the saddle.
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    my 2010 tricross came with Mavic cxp22 rims

they put up with my lard arse (18stone) so they must be pretty tough
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Budget?
  • Wallace1492
    £250 max for the pair. It's not a hugely expensive bike, so no point in getting expensive wheels. But, think it could benefit from shiny new wheels! Mavic Open Pro seem to get decent write up...
  • You ever thought of building your own? It's great fun.

Or you could give http://www.wheelcraft.net/ a try, I've heard good things about them.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I asked this question a few months back and got some great wheels from Spa Cycles.

Just dug out the email trail I had with them:
    > I would recommend a pair of Deore hubs built into Rigida Snyper rims. These
    > will take tyres down to 25mm and up to 40mm max. The rims and hubs are
    > available in black. We only build with silver S/steel spokes. These wheels
    > would cost £148 and delivery FedEx would be £5. Rim tapes are included FOC.

36 spoke and not needed an adjustment since I bought them in July (July??? Good God, they are doing well)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I asked this question a few months back and got some great wheels from Spa Cycles.

Just dug out the email trail I had with them:
    > I would recommend a pair of Deore hubs built into Rigida Snyper rims. These
    > will take tyres down to 25mm and up to 40mm max. The rims and hubs are
    > available in black. We only build with silver S/steel spokes. These wheels
    > would cost £148 and delivery FedEx would be £5. Rim tapes are included FOC.

36 spoke and not needed an adjustment since I bought them in July (July??? Good God, they are doing well)

Wouldn't call them climbing wheels, though. Buy, yes, a decent set of hand-built wheels are a true joy.
  • Gussio wrote:

Wrong spacing for a Tricross, they have mountain bike spaced rear wheels - otherwise a decent shout.
  • Wallace1492
    You ever thought of building your own? It's great fun.

Or you could give http://www.wheelcraft.net/ a try, I've heard good things about them.

Forgot about wheelcraft! Think I will drop in and have a word there. Cheers.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I'm intendin to learn to build wheels, I got Roger Musson's book as a Chrimble pressie. He rates Shimano hubs very highly and says use a mid range Shimano hub with a reasonable quality rim and double butted spokes. He also makes the point that in using a slightly heavier rim you won't worry about road imperfections so will ultimately be faster as you won't worry about every little pot hole. Reckons the tyre choice has by far the greatest effect on the speed of a set of wheels.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm intendin to learn to build wheels, I got Roger Musson's book as a Chrimble pressie. He rates Shimano hubs very highly and says use a mid range Shimano hub with a reasonable quality rim and double butted spokes. He also makes the point that in using a slightly heavier rim you won't worry about road imperfections so will ultimately be faster as you won't worry about every little pot hole. Reckons the tyre choice has by far the greatest effect on the speed of a set of wheels.

It's a good book that one. I built the stand and tools from there and am perfectly happy building wheels using his methods. They aren't perfect yet, but I'm getting better with each build and even my first wheel still runs true without any tweaking after about a year/6,000 miles.
  • veronese68
    Excellent, that's good to know. I've read through the book and am about to build the stand. Look out for me in the fettling c0ck ups thread in a couple of months.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Excellent, that's good to know. I've read through the book and am about to build the stand. Look out for me in the fettling c0ck ups thread in a couple of months.

Wheels aren't that hard when you get down to it, as long as you get a relatively even tension in each spoke, they'll be great. Better than the machine built ones anyway. Spa cycles are your friend for the bits you'll need too, as they'll work out spoke lengths for you if they stock the parts you're using.
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:

Wheels aren't that hard when you get down to it, as long as you get a relatively even tension in each spoke, they'll be great. Better than the machine built ones anyway. Spa cycles are your friend for the bits you'll need too, as they'll work out spoke lengths for you if they stock the parts you're using.
    That's good to know. Even with the spoke length calculator that bit makes me most nervous, not too sure why.