cytech theory.

delcol
delcol Posts: 2,848
edited January 2012 in MTB general
any of you guys out there done this..
i know what it entails but was wondering how hard is it. ie can a thick northerner (a simpleton if you like) do it..

or would i be wasting my money.

was toying with the idea of (trying ) to get cytech level one. so would look at doing the theory first then if i pass do the practical part....
thanks

Comments

• Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    I was just looking at doing this yesterday!

My question is, will it add any benefit to my life?
  • cytech 1:
    this is a spanner
    this is an allen key
    do not leave your workshop messy
    bikes have 2 wheels

£399 please thanks.

really a waste of money but you have to complete it to progress to level 2 and then onto wheelbuilding etc.
    If you already know how to set up gears and brakes and have 1/8th of common sense then you wont learn anything new
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    w.jenkins wrote:
    cytech 1:
    this is a spanner
    this is an allen key
    do not leave your workshop messy
    bikes have 2 wheels

£399 please thanks.

really a waste of money but you have to complete it to progress to level 2 and then onto wheelbuilding etc.
    If you already know how to set up gears and brakes and have 1/8th of common sense then you wont learn anything new

Lol, is very true! Cytech is a waste of money, unless the qual is a must have.
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    Is it worth doing level 2 though? I've been toying with the idea of doing it for a while, as I'm thinking about a bike based career (Currently studying Biomedical Science, so it's a bit of a change!)

Also, anyone thinking of doing the theory, there's 50% off the course price until 29th Feb here:
    http://www.thecyclingexperts.co.uk/cyte ... ne-theory/
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Have a look at the Bike Inn they do training courses up to level 2 city and guilds http://www.bike-inn.co.uk/training_attainment.asp
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    ah well i do have a around 15th common sense so thats a start..

ghost thats why i was thinking of doing it as it was on offer...

being unemployed i quite fancy trying to get a job in the bike industry (bike shop or what ever) i was hoping the cytech would better my chances....

i already know my way round the tool box and the bike i build my own bikes and service them. the only thing i not attempted yet is wheel building or fork servicing...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Cytech 3 is wheelbuilding - so an expensive way to learn! Fork servicing is model dependant, so many out there.

Most shops go on mehcanic skill in an interview.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    supersonic wrote:
    Cytech 3 is wheelbuilding - so an expensive way to learn! Fork servicing is model dependant, so many out there.

Most shops go on mehcanic skill in an interview.

My mate owns a bikeshop and he used to have school lads working for him just to learn how to maintain their bikes.

Find a shop and ask for a days weekly work, unpaid if needed and learn that way, better than sitting at home doing nothing and you may learn wheel building without spending anything.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2