first time fixed

jim55
jim55 Posts: 93
edited January 2012 in Road general
im just a bit apprehensive about trying it ,,any tips for a beginner ,,ive only got clips and tbh the thought of my legs spinning at a crazy rate down hill is a thought i struggle with highish cadence on a geared bike (say 90) so i just dont wana get bounced out the saddle !!whats yr reccs ,,try it when its quiet and take it easy ?and on the subject of gearing im on freewheel 44*18 ,and the fixed is 44*16 ,,i find the 18 ok theyres only one bit on my commute i spin out although on the flat i sometimes feel i could go a bigger gear ,,but the the hills would b a killer ,,how much harder would it b using a 16 opposed to the freewheel 18 side?so many questions :?
lol
(can u tell im a bit of a wuss about this )

Comments

• stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    Have a casual ride in your local park to practise. Downhill have your hand ready at the rear brake lever to regulate the speed. The ratio, only you can try it and decide. I would have got a chainring 2 teeth bigger.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Spinning out is difficult when you have a freewheel because the transmission disconnects at the top and bottom of the pedal stroke; you will normally spin much faster on a fixed but you need to work on it a bit to get the action really fluid. After that your max cadence depends a bit on how you are. I have spun out at 190+ going downhill on 42/17 (very close to your 44/18, and that's round the 30mph mark but it's not an everyday occurrence) but on a freewheel with the same gear I would probably stop pedalling at around 130 (and even less with a derailleur, mechanical interference being what it is).
    As far as gearing is concerned, it's all very personal. One rule, if you want to go well up hills don't carry any surplus weight, corporal or mechanical; if you want to go well downhill use the biggest gear you can to get up the hills in the first place; if you don't want to bounce on the saddle work on spinning smoothly. This is easiest when you are young!
    Many years ago (several decades ago!) when I used to use a fixed to go to school in Cheltenham there were several fixed riders I would see in traffic with only one toe-clip. I did this from time to time and if you are not a fanatic of trackstands in traffic it does work - but it is a lot less efficient for going up hills and for spinning out coming down them. If you don't feel confident to start with you can try it. Now I have converted to automatics (SPD) and they are really a lot easier than clips for starting off and no harder for stopping (just don't forget to unclip before stopping!) - but they lack the class off putting a hand down to flick the release on the toe-strap!
    For my gearing for touring I end up around 65": 42/17, 44/18, 48/20 (on 23 section tyres); I live in a hilly area and while I can use 42/16, I find it too big and no advantage over 42/17 (but I'm old and overweight, with a dodgy knee). When I was younger I used 49/19 or 18 (in the Cotswolds) but I was skinny and 2-3 stone lighter.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Just re-read the post. Try your 44/16 fixed and see. You will usually climb with a bigger gear on fixed than on free; it surprises a bit at first. Try to relax and pedal smoothly climbing, rather than attacking like you would on gears.
  • sean1
    sean1 Posts: 7
    I ride 46-17 which is around a 68" gear,going down hill is no problem you will find it will come natural and you always have your rear break to keep control.
    I have been riding fixed in the winter,since I bought a giant bowery 3 years ago,best thing I ever did.
    Once you get used to it, it will beome second nature,but it will take some getting used to.
    Just hang in there and stay with it ,it is worthwhile.
  • jim55
    jim55 Posts: 93
    thanks peeps 8)