Lights - help me choose

shdaxner
shdaxner Posts: 249
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi All

I know this subject has probably been done a million times but im after some help choosing a decent front light in aniticipation for next winter and also any after dark rides i do throughout the year.

The light will primarily be used for road riding sometimes unlit roads/cycle paths, im curryently using some planet x flashing jobbies (after my knock off chinese magicshine has packed in after 3 weeks of having it) and the ones im using now are not very confidence inspiring on the short unlit part of my commute.

So i have a few that i have been looking at buying and im looking at about £150 and im after any good / bad experiences you guys have had also open to suggestions of deals i may have missed.

The lights im looking at are as follows

moon xp1000
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/moon/xp1000-front-light-ec033673

ay up ultra lite
http://www.ayup-lights.com/products/64/

magicshine mj-880
http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/products/MJ-880-light-set-most-powerful-light-from-Magicshine

So, which one should i be buying or have a missed a bargain somewhere?

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Exposure diablo
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • shdaxner
    Thanks for the prompt, but straight to the point reply.

However, the diablo is slightly out of my price range, also im not too keen on the torch type bike lights.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
  • shdaxner
    Hmm, that Phillips light looks like an ok light for the price, but is it just me or is it an ugly MoFo, looks just like the lights Aldi do in the winter cycling deals.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    There are some who don't like the beam pattern but I'm over the moon with my Magicshine. 1600 (claimed) lumens and with the upgraded open light battery way more burn time than I'll ever need. 125 quid I think.

Rather like the green terminator eye on the back too as I can just about read my speedo display.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • shdaxner
    Yeah, the Magicshines do look good but after my chinese ebay version has packed in after 3 week i was a little dubious about the 'real deal', but they definitely offer the most bang for your buck and the beam pattern of mine was ok i thought.

Does anybody know how many lumens the Ayups are rated at?
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    shdaxner wrote:
    Hmm, that Phillips light looks like an ok light for the price, but is it just me or is it an ugly MoFo, looks just like the lights Aldi do in the winter cycling deals.

It's certainly unlike the cylinder/half-oblate spheroid of most front lights, but it's a robust metal case with polycarbonate lens, not a cheap knock-off. I like the fact that it's a single unit, takes standard batteries (AAs not expensive 18650s) and has a USB socket for charging. Can't testify as to it's long-term reliability, but the reviews on rose bikes are positive.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    shdaxner wrote:

Does anybody know how many lumens the Ayups are rated at?

Yup - 400 lumens (though I think there's an upgrade option too). They are fabulous lights - very light, very robust - excellent. Personally I wouldn't buy anything else. 6 hour burn time (option). Customer service is great too - fast delivery (from Oz) and, when I had a question, it was answered incredibly fast.

The solo winner of the Strathpuffer (24hr winter MTB race) of last year used them (2 sets - helmet and bars) and swears by them. I used them for the Puffer this year and commute through the Highlands with them - mostly on the lower setting.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try here
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12660193
    Mainly the last line.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    shdaxner wrote:
    the diablo is slightly out of my price range

Weird, I was sure there wasn't a price in the question to begin with. Wouldn't be the first time I hadn't read it all though (and given that you can get one for c£160 it's not actually far from your budget).
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive got a moon x300 an a Chinese copy of the magicshine (1600 lumens supposedly) on the front of my bike

its waaay more then adequate on my off road commute
    Keeping it classy since '83