would this be worth it? think its a good price!

monkey_man_1
monkey_man_1 Posts: 108
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
hiya, possibly looking at doing a full sus build so have been looking at some frames on ebay. found this one ending in a day and pretty cheap! what do you guys think? i no this is used but arnt the £1000's bikes?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/specialized-s ... 27c27444e5

thanks!

Comments

• Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Don't know anything about this frame but to me, the shock looks like it's in a daft place. Totally vulnerable to dirt - (a) from its location (b) thanks to gravity - anything falling on it will sit against the seal.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Forum rules - "No what is it worth" topics.

If you want to know the value of something, check similar listings on ebay, or the classifieds.
  • Forum rules - "No what is it worth" topics.

If you want to know the value of something, check similar listings on ebay, or the classifieds.

I never asked what's it worth? Was aster information on if you think it's a good frame?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yep, for xc racing.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Epics are out-an-out XC race/marathon machines that have been around in one guise or another for about 10 years or so(maybe longer).The "Brain" shock is supposed to be pretty good.They're usually run with 100mm forks.At nearly £400 I reckon it's about reached it's money.
    If you're an XC whippet then go for it.if you're a DH/all mountain type thrasher then look elsewhere 8)
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    Shackster - What are you on about, Epics are one of the best xc frames that have been built. And the brain system is very good.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I'm sure it rides very well. I would just be worried about the life of the shock. You can't tell me it wouldn't get muddier than one tucked behind the seat tube.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    the epic is a well proven frame design that has been around for years, you dont need to worry about the position of the shock
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    I actually can, the tyre flicks mud into the rear shock, , whereas with the epic, it's on the side and has no mud or dirt being flicked into it.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm