Chainset help please!!

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Ok, need to buy a new groupset for the Santa Cruz build and I have managed to confuse myself :oops:

I have a 22 32 44 set up on my Orange (cassette 24) which I like. However there is a a 26 36 48 chainset on special offer and I don't understand enough about it to know if this is an option or not?!!

Can someone please explain very simply how this would affect the gears on my bike? I know there are lots of tables etc on the internet but to be honest I have a very tenuous grasp on how gears work and I don't understand them. Please pretend you're explaining it to your gran and enlighten me...... :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    It will be harder with the same size cassette, you will probably end up using the middle ring more or get a different cassette to compensate.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    I would have thought the 26/36/48 is a 10 speed setup and the 22/32/44 is 9 speed, which in it's self may not be an issue, someone may correct me on that.

I would have thought your orange would have a 32 or 34 cassette. You can get 24 cassettes but there aren't seen that often on a MTB.

If you went from a 22/32/44 to a 26/36/48 without changing your cassette you affectily loose your lower gears and increase your higher gears.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not a 9 speed/10 speed difference, the larger sizes are usually used on hybrids/'trekking' bikes.

As said, it will be harder in all gears compared to now. I'd stick to what you have.
  • 26/36/48 sounds like more like a trekking/touring bike set up.Shimano XT by any chance?
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • miss notax
    tofu21 wrote:
    I would have thought the 26/36/48 is a 10 speed setup and the 22/32/44 is 9 speed, which in it's self may not be an issue, someone may correct me on that.

I would have thought your orange would have a 32 or 34 cassette. You can get 24 cassettes but there aren't seen that often on a MTB.

If you went from a 22/32/44 to a 26/36/48 without changing your cassette you affectily loose your lower gears and increase your higher gears.

Yes, sorry, typo - the Orange has a 34 cassette fitted. When I built the Orange I kept a spreadsheet of everything - yes, I am that sad :oops:

Thats makes sense about the 9 speed and 10 speed - I would like to stick to a 9 speed set up so it sounds like that deal isn't for me then! I'll keep my eyes peeled for another 22/32/44 then - which I know I like :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• miss notax
    Thanks guys - obviously not for me then!! Will stick with what I know :D

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you go 9 speed you'll be buying 'old' stuff. I can see the appeal of keeping 9 spd as all your other bikes are and makes interchageability between - but this seem like something you're not likely to do as you want different types of bikes.

What range have you settled on for the group and where form?
  • miss notax
    Hmmm, fair point. I plan on going for Shimano XT - same as the Orange (except I have SLX cranks on the Orange). I was only going for 9 speed as you can pick it up slightly cheaper than 10 speed at the moment, and I am watching the pennies!

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I bought a 26/36/48(in error)for my HT build.I ditched the outer for a bash.I was going to replace the 26 with a 22 but it's doing wonders for my legs on climbs so much so that on my FS the other day I didn't use 1st or 2nd on the granny as they felt too high 8)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    1mancity2 wrote:

Yep - or go for the Deore and effectively get the brakes for free - keep notax happy.

XT is verging on double the price.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    9 speed chainsets are 10 speed compatible anyway, so you can still go 10 speed in the future with your existing cranks.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you were thinking of 10 speed, go 2x10. 2x10 is the new 3x9.