Recommend me a coffee grinder...

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
So, a few coffee geeks here, and it looks like a reasonable way of getting decent coffee to our office out in the sticks is in 1Kg sacks of beans. I don't want a full bean-to-cup machine, so I think we're looking at getting a grinder. Amazon reviews seem to all more-or-less say "this one's amazing" and that's it.

I'm looking for a grinder which is well-built (easy to fix if it breaks, so would prefer screwed together rather than e.g. silly plastic clips) and relatively cheap... Does 20 GBP for a manual one sound like a reasonable budget? Most of the ones on Amazon have got some berk's name on and no indication of what it's made from. I'd guess we need some level of grind adjustment, but we don't tend to do espresso grind.

There's an electric Cusinart one (quite like Cusinart kit as it's actually built) but it's got mixed reviews and I don't think I need mains power.
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• My Dad has an electric Krupps one, does a great job. Our manual one is largely ignored due to the fact it takes too long, and coffee is urgent.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    The Porlex hand grinder has a good reputation and costs around £30. Am looking to get one myself.
  • davis
    Gussio wrote:
    The Porlex hand grinder has a good reputation and costs around £30. Am looking to get one myself.

Thanks... but I forgot to say we need to grind enough for around 5-6 mugs of coffee - that one looks a little small. D'oh.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hario-Coffee-Mill-Ceramic-Slim/dp/B001804CLY/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

This one, it is the best coffee grinder you will get for the price. I have one for my Areopress (which I also recommend) 8)
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Yup - would definately be too small. Only does around 20g at a time.
  • Mr Sworld
    davis wrote:
    Gussio wrote:

Thanks... but I forgot to say we need to grind enough for around 5-6 mugs of coffee - that one looks a little small. D'oh.

You won't get a decent ceramic burr to grind that much for under £100 :(

However I'd like to be pleasently supprised...
  • davis
    My Dad has an electric Krupps one, does a great job. Our manual one is largely ignored due to the fact it takes too long, and coffee is urgent.

This one?. Did think I was after a manual, but you guys make a good point with grinding enough for 5 guys in need of caffeine.
  • davis wrote:
    My Dad has an electric Krupps one, does a great job. Our manual one is largely ignored due to the fact it takes too long, and coffee is urgent.

This one?. Did think I was after a manual, but you guys make a good point with grinding enough for 5 guys in need of caffeine.

That's the very one! Seems a good machine.
  • Mr Sworld
    Are you wanting Espresso or French Press? A blade grinder will be fine for French Press but Espresso need a much finer grind.
  • davis
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    Are you wanting Espresso or French Press? A blade grinder will be fine for French Press but Espresso need a much finer grind.

We're actually using a Chemex (paper-based drip filter). Quite like the simplicity really. Probably cafetiere-grind as espresso grind clogs the paper and comes out too acidic, even for me.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I too am in the hunt for a (not expensive) coffee grinder for espresso...
  • davis
    davis wrote:

That's the very one! Seems a good machine.

Thanks UE. I shall see if I've got any Amazon vouchers etc.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    +1 for the Krupps blade jobbie. Had ours for years, never failed. As said elsewhere, not up to an espresso grind - but then you're just after a percolator grind right?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Another vote for the Krups bladed doo-hickey- bought one in '92 & it's still working.
  • davis
    Thanks gentlefolk.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    The best coffee grinder in town is the girl from South Australia who works in Monmouth coffee.

I have a huge crush (excuse the pun) on her....

best coffee in London - they tell me - don't drink the stuff myself, just go to stare at her and growl a bit
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Blade grinders are a waste of time for coffee. They don't give any control over grind, and tend to mash the beans rather than actually grind them evenly - you end up with a whole range of particle sizes from dust throughto rocks, which leads to uneven extraction. The heat generated also tends to damage the beans further - leave the heat till they're being brewed up!

To do any kind of bean justice, you need a burr grinder. Best cheap one i've used has been the Dualit/Starbucks one. Doesn't go fine enough for espresso, but then that's not what you're after. Or try and find a secondhand Isomac Granmachino, which is much better built.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    JonEdwards wrote:
    Blade grinders are a waste of time for coffee. [...]
    A tad hyperbolic, methinks.

In addition to Sketchley's suggestion, John Lewis are selling a reasonably priced Krups burr grinder.